This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7235 / 53°43'24"N
Longitude: -1.9619 / 1°57'42"W
OS Eastings: 402612
OS Northings: 425234
OS Grid: SE026252
Mapcode National: GBR GTRC.1Y
Mapcode Global: WHB8F.TNYV
Entry Name: Heather Cottage lower Hathershelf
Listing Date: 19 July 1963
Last Amended: 21 June 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1279108
English Heritage Legacy ID: 404215
Location: Hebden Royd, Calderdale, HX2
Civil Parish: Hebden Royd
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Mytholmroyd
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SE 02NW DEN ROYD C.P. HATHERSHELF LANE
SE 026252 Luddendenfoot, Halifax
2/129 Lower Hathershelf and
Heather Cottage (formerly
listed as Nos. 8, 10 and
19.7.63 12 Lower Hathershelf)
House, now in 2 occupations initialled and dated "R M S 1671" (for Robert and
Mary Swaine). Large dressed stone, stone slate roof. 2 storeys. 3-room
through-passage plan with western cross-wing which projects to front but is
flush at rear. All are double chamfered mullioned windows. Gabled cross-wing
has 9-light window with king mullion (6 + 3) with hoodmould over. Over, to
1st floor, is mullioned and transomed window of 8 lights with stepped hoodmould
which continues over former taking-in door (blocked) with monolithic jambs.
Finely moulded gothic coping to gable with finial. Left hand return wall has
8-light chamfered mullioned window with 9-light window over to 1st floor with
closer spaced mullions. To right of windows disturbed stonework. Right hand
return wall has disturbed stonework where formerly a lateral stack may have
been, now replaced by an internal stack. Hall has impressive mullioned and
transomed window of 18 lights with 2 king mullions. Hoodmould over has initials
to left and date to right forming label stops. Over is gabled dormer with
coping and finial and window with chamfered surround. Doorway has Tudor arched
lintel with stop chamfered surround. Over, window with plain stone surrounds.
Service end is gabled with coping, kneelers and finial. 8-light window with
king mullion. Over, to 1st floor, is mullioned and transomed 8-light window
with hoodmould over. 2 stacks to ridge to either side of through-passage.
Single storey outshut to rear set between gabled wings.
Interior: Heavily jowled post on stylobat survives to rear of through-passage.
Housebody has scarf jointed spine beams, evidence of former bressumer removed
when the large hall window was built. It would appear that there was a single-
aisled timber framed hall with an added stone cross-wing, probably early C17.
The hall was then encased in stone in 1671. C. F. Stell, p.64-5, 76.
Listing NGR: SE0261225234
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings