History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Presbytery Attached to Church of St Augustine

A Grade II Listed Building in Preston, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7557 / 53°45'20"N

Longitude: -2.6917 / 2°41'30"W

OS Eastings: 354487

OS Northings: 429042

OS Grid: SD544290

Mapcode National: GBR TC3.FX

Mapcode Global: WH85M.MVFN

Entry Name: Presbytery Attached to Church of St Augustine

Listing Date: 20 December 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1279771

English Heritage Legacy ID: 392138

Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR1

County: Lancashire

District: Preston

Town: Preston

Electoral Ward/Division: Town Centre

Built-Up Area: Preston

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Preston The Risen Lord

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Preston

Listing Text


PRESTON

SD5429SW ST AUSTIN'S PLACE
941-1/12/248 (South side)
Presbytery attached to Church of St
Augustine

GV II

Presbytery. c.1840, enlarged c.1900. Red brick in Flemish
bond, with sandstone dressings and slate roof. Double-depth
plan, with set-back link to church on left. Three storeys and
now 3 bays, symmetrical, with pedimented centre breaking
forwards slightly, but formerly only 2 bays, the portion to
the right having been added; with plinth, quoins to ground
floor and string course over, sill-bands to both upper floors,
dentilled cornice and pediment. The centre has tripartite
sashed windows with glazing bars at ground and 1st floors,
otherwise all windows are 12-pane sashes, all windows at 1st
floor have moulded architraves with cornices, and all those at
ground and 2nd floors have wedge lintels. Hipped roof with
various chimneys. Entrance in set-back 2-storey link to left,
which has a doorway with pedimented architrave and 4-pane
sashed side windows with moulded architraves, a string-course,
a large rectangular stone panel above, a cornice and high
parapet. (Two single-storey service wings to west side,). Rear
has (inter alia) a pedimented with 2-storey rectangular bay.
INTERIOR altered.


Listing NGR: SD5448729042

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.