This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7552 / 53°45'18"N
Longitude: -2.6996 / 2°41'58"W
OS Eastings: 353966
OS Northings: 428985
OS Grid: SD539289
Mapcode National: GBR T9X.3P
Mapcode Global: WH85M.HWP2
Entry Name: Chapel
Listing Date: 20 August 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1279805
English Heritage Legacy ID: 392116
Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR1
Electoral Ward/Division: Town Centre
Built-Up Area: Preston
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Preston St John and St George the Martyr
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD5328NE REGENT STREET
941-1/13/223 (East side)
Formerly known as: Zoar Chapel.
Chapel. 1853, for Particular Baptists; altered. Red brick in
Flemish bond, with sandstone dressings and slate roof.
Rectangular single-cell plan at right-angles to street. One
tall storey and 3 bays, symmetrical; a gabled facade with a
sandstone plinth and brick pilasters with moulded stone caps
in a band to the gable, which is treated as a pediment. The
wider centre bay has a doorway with a moulded architrave and a
large cornice on consoles, and double doors with round-headed
panels, and above this a 12-pane sashed window with margin
panes, a raised sill on sill-blocks, and a similar cornice on
consoles. The narrower outer bays have very tall multi-paned
windows including margin panes (all of crown glass), with
raised sills on sill-blocks, plain lintels and moulded
cornices. The gable has a moulded coping and contains a stone
panel with sunk Maltese cross. Rear, now covered by added
2-storey lean-to, has 2 tall windows like those at the front.
INTERIOR: modernised by insertion of suspended ceiling, but
with remains of moulded cornice of original ceiling and tops
of pilasters with egg-and-dart decoration (visible through
rear windows). History: built by Particular Baptists seceding
from former Vauxhall Road Chapel in 1853; taken over in 1882
by Catholic Apostolic Church.
Listing NGR: SD5396628985
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings