History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Belvedere at Junction of Walks at East End of Park

A Grade II Listed Building in Preston, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7532 / 53°45'11"N

Longitude: -2.697 / 2°41'49"W

OS Eastings: 354138

OS Northings: 428758

OS Grid: SD541287

Mapcode National: GBR TB9.BT

Mapcode Global: WH85M.JXYM

Entry Name: Belvedere at Junction of Walks at East End of Park

Listing Date: 27 September 1979

Last Amended: 20 December 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1279842

English Heritage Legacy ID: 391877

Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR1

County: Lancashire

District: Preston

Town: Preston

Electoral Ward/Division: Town Centre

Built-Up Area: Preston

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Preston St John and St George the Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Preston

Listing Text


PRESTON

SD5428NW AVENHAM PARK
941-1/14/6 (East side)
27/09/79 Belvedere at junction of walks at
east end of park
(Formerly Listed as:
AVENHAM PARK
Shelter at east side of Park)

GV II

Gazebo. Built 1865-6. Rendered brick with sandstone as ashlar
facade (painted white), flat roof. Shallow rectangular plan.
Classical style. Single storey, built back-to-earth, 3:1:3
bays, symmetrical, with open arcaded front and ends. The
centre, forming a slightly projected and taller porch
(approached by flight of 9 stone steps), has a large
round-headed arch with set-in Corinthian shafts, moulded
impost bands, and moulded extrados with keystone flanked by
roundels with shields of arms, and a modillioned cornice. The
3-bay side ranges have similar but smaller arches on slender
Corinthian columns and responds with square caps, moulded
cornices with blocking courses; and matching one-bay returned
ends. Interior has blind arcading in rear wall of each side
range. Originally on site now occupied by Derby Monument
(q.v.), dismantled and re-erected on this site c.1873.


Listing NGR: SD5413828758

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.