This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4603 / 50°27'37"N
Longitude: -3.5154 / 3°30'55"W
OS Eastings: 292531
OS Northings: 63369
OS Grid: SX925633
Mapcode National: GBR QX.3GDD
Mapcode Global: FRA 37JV.292
Plus Code: 9C2RFF6M+4R
Entry Name: Mintons woods Way
Listing Date: 10 January 1975
Last Amended: 3 May 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1280057
English Heritage Legacy ID: 390645
Location: Wellswood, Torbay, TQ1
Electoral Ward/Division: Wellswood
Built-Up Area: Torquay
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Torquay St Matthias
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX9263 HIGHER WOODFIELD ROAD
885-1/18/118 (West side)
10/01/75 Mintons and Woods Way
(Formerly Listed as:
HIGHER WOODFIELD ROAD
Villa, subdivided. Probably 1835 (Pevsner). Plastered; hipped
slate roofs; stacks with deep projecting cornices and some
orignal octagonal pots.
PLAN: Rectangular double-depth main block with entrance on the
south side and north-east service wing at right-angles.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Deep eaves and verges on moulded
brackets; eaves and verges band; first-floor platband. 3-bay
front, broken forward and gabled in the centre. Flat-roofed
projecting porch in centre with pilaster strips, platband and
plain proud architraves to openings. Round-headed doorway with
recessed 4-panel front door with timber panelling in arch
above. Door flanked by round-headed sash windows. First-floor
centre window recessed and glazed with small-pane sash with
radial glazing bars. Ground-floor window right a 12-pane sash;
first- floor window with Venetian shutters.
3-bay garden elevation with canted bay windows to ground foor
and tent-roof verandah on posts with floor of octagonal tiles,
which returns for 2 bays along the entrance front.
INTERIOR: Not inspected but noted in Pevsner as having fine
plaster ceilings and interesting wall and floor tiling added
after the building was bought by Herbert Minton, the
tile-maker, in 1856, including wall tiles to a design by
HISTORY: Similar in detail to Singlton (qv) on the opposite
side of the road. Shown on 1866 OS map as 'Belmont'.
An unspoiled example of one of the earlier Torquay villas.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1952-1989:
Listing NGR: SX9253163369
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings