This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2716 / 51°16'17"N
Longitude: 1.2135 / 1°12'48"E
OS Eastings: 624246
OS Northings: 157401
OS Grid: TR242574
Mapcode National: GBR VZS.7LR
Mapcode Global: VHLGP.Z9CJ
Entry Name: Canon Cottage the Old Canonry
Listing Date: 13 October 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1281551
English Heritage Legacy ID: 178372
Location: Wingham, Dover, Kent, CT3
Civil Parish: Wingham
Built-Up Area: Wingham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 2457 WINGHAM CANTERBURY ROAD
9/340 The Old Canonry
13.10.52 and Canon Cottage
House, sometime house pair. Circa 1285 and C15. Timber framed on flint
under croft and exposed frame with plaster infill. Plain tiled roof.
Two storeys to right. one storey and attic to left on flint base, with
jetty on dragon post and brackets to right and returned to right side
elevation. Pierced and enriched bargeboard to right-hand wing, and 2
hipped dormers to left with stacks to rear right. Three-light mullioned
and transomed window on first floor, and 3 mullioned windows and 8-light
mullioned and transomed shallow oriel to right on ground floor, with
adjacent door of 7 glazed transomed lights with 3 base panels in four-
centred arched surround, both C15 and only uncovered 1893 by removal of
plaster. C20 boarded door at end left in arched doorway of 2 derns.
Outshot at end left. Basement openings to centre. Right return with 2
wooden casements on each left. Basement openings to centre. Right return
with 2 wooden casements on each fooor and rib and stud door in four-
centred arched surround.
Interior: the low left-hand wing appears to be an intact survival of the
row of canons' houses for Wingham College, founded by Archbishop Peckham,
1282, and building from 1283 onwards. The undercroft, the jetty, and the
sans-purlin roof are all of that date. The 2-storey range, although on a
C13 undercroft is late C15, with contemporary panelling, and fine crown-
The historical and architectural details for this and many other
buildings in Wingham are to be found in A. Hussey, Chronicles of Wingham,
1896; E.W.Parkin, Arch. Can. XCIII, 1977; and an upublished thesis for
Canterbury University by Dr. David
Listing NGR: TR2424657400
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings