History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Council House and Attached Railings and Piers

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bristol, City of Bristol

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.4526 / 51°27'9"N

Longitude: -2.6021 / 2°36'7"W

OS Eastings: 358261

OS Northings: 172795

OS Grid: ST582727

Mapcode National: GBR C6L.H4

Mapcode Global: VH88M.VR89

Entry Name: Council House and Attached Railings and Piers

Listing Date: 19 March 1981

Last Amended: 30 December 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1282341

English Heritage Legacy ID: 379313

Location: Bristol, BS1

County: City of Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Hotwells and Harbourside

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Bristol St Stephen with St James and St John the Baptist with St Michael and St George

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


COLLEGE GREEN (West side),
Council House and attached railings and piers

(Formerly Listed as:
The Council House)



Council house. 1935-1952. By Vincent Harris. Concrete frame
clad with very wide, thin bricks, with Portland stone
dressings and a leaded hipped roof. Concave axial double-depth
plan. Neo-Georgian style.
2 storeys, attic and basement; 38-window range. A very wide,
concave bowed front has a stone plinth, first-floor plat band,
moulded coping in front of the recessed attic. Full-height
porte cocheres to each end, similar 2-storey one to central
main entrance. Outer ones have full-height semicircular
arches, single-storey side ones, to semicircular-arched
doorways with 2-leaf doors swept down to the centre, and
first-floor windows with Corinthian columns to pediments on
balconies with balustrades. The middle porte cochere is almost
detached, with an octagonal base to an ashlar dome,
semicircular arches to 3 sides, and blind flanking blocks 4
windows wide. 6/6-pane horned sashes in exposed frames,
alternate 3 windows on the ground floor have moulded stone
architraves. A very steep and high roof with gilded unicorns
to the corners of the end blocks. The rear elevation has
2-storey tetrastyle-in-antis loggias at the ends, linked by
pilastrades round to the central projecting block, which has a
pilastrade below very large 25/25-pane sashes, and flanking
towers with McFall sculptures on top.
INTERIOR: sparsely decorated in monumental manner and faced in
plain ashlar; details include a central axial passage, and
good lamps in the entrance lobby, which has a marble floor;
complete original fittings throughout, those to the Committee
Rooms being of particular note; horological clock in entrance
hall; painted ceilings in the Council Room by John Armstrong
on the theme of Bristol and its history, and in the Conference
Room by WT Monnington on the theme of molecular and atomic
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached railings and octagonal piers to
the ends and ramp in front.
An important work by the most celebrated civic architect of
the first half of the C20.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and
Bristol: London: 1958-: 413).

Listing NGR: ST5825372747

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.