History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ashburton Methodist Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Ashburton, Devon

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.5148 / 50°30'53"N

Longitude: -3.7565 / 3°45'23"W

OS Eastings: 275558

OS Northings: 69807

OS Grid: SX755698

Mapcode National: GBR QJ.1STR

Mapcode Global: FRA 370P.Y19

Entry Name: Ashburton Methodist Church

Listing Date: 7 August 1951

Last Amended: 1 September 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1282869

English Heritage Legacy ID: 376187

Location: Ashburton, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ13

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

Civil Parish: Ashburton

Built-Up Area: Ashburton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Ashburton St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Ashburton

Listing Text


ASHBURTON

SX7569 WEST STREET
849-1/10/209 (South side)
07/08/51 Ashburton Methodist Church
(Formerly Listed as:
WEST STREET
(South side)
Methodist Church)

GV II

Formerly known as: Methodist Chapel WEST STREET.
Wesleyan chapel, now church. Dated 1835, but section
immediately behind the facade appears to be mid or late C19.
Front rendered; right side and rear solid roughcast; left side
stone rubble, with red-brick window surrounds to mid/late C19
section. Hipped slated roofs. Portico at front, with side
doors opening on to passages which in turn lead to chapel at
rear. Between the passages a schoolroom, and above them both a
meeting room. Chapel galleried on N, E, and W sides; rostrum
on S with organ behind it in a small rectangular projection. 3
bay Ionic portico with triangular pediment. Behind it 2 doors
and a window with cornices on consoles. Window has 6-paned
sashes. Doorways have 4-panelled double doors and patterned
fanlights. Upper storey has 3 round-arched windows with
bracketed sills and moulded architraves; small-paned glazing.
Side walls of mid/late C19 section have small-paned wood
casements. Side and rear walls of chapel have 8-paned sashes
in recessed box-frames, except that the lower sashes of the
gallery windows have only 4 panes; rear gallery windows
round-arched with fixed small-paned sashes. Interior:
galleries have enriched iron columns and panelled fronts; rear
gallery curved to make a 'U'-shape. Wooden rostrum with ornate
iron balusters to stairs. At rear of chapel 2 open-well wood
stairs to gallery; thin, square balusters, handrail ramped up
over column-newels. Ceiling has moulded cornice and 2 round
ventilators; these have Gothic-patterned iron grilles and
key-pattern plaster surrounds. Meeting room has 2 C19
chimneypieces with bracketed mantelshelves. At S end 2
round-arched doorways with moulded architraves.


Listing NGR: SX7555869807

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.