This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4813 / 53°28'52"N
Longitude: -2.2456 / 2°14'44"W
OS Eastings: 383799
OS Northings: 398313
OS Grid: SJ837983
Mapcode National: GBR DJH.G1
Mapcode Global: WHB9G.GRXJ
Entry Name: Nos. 35 AND 37, KING STREET AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
Listing Date: 25 February 1952
Last Amended: 6 June 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1282985
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388238
Location: Manchester, M2
Electoral Ward/Division: City Centre
Built-Up Area: Manchester
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Manchester St Ann
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 08/01/2018
SJ 8398 SE,
KING STREET (north side),
Nos. 35 and 37 and attached railings
(Formerly Listed as: National Westminster Bank and attached railings)
(Previously Listed as: KING STREET (North side) Nos.35 AND 37 (Odd) District Bank)
Range of shops and attached railings, formerly town house, later converted and extended to form bank premises. 1736, converted to bank c.1788, extended late C19, and remodelled late C20. C18 work in red brick laid to Flemish bond, with sandstone dressings and a hipped, slated roof with side wall chimneys., C19 work in ashlar sandstone, and late C20 additions in steel and glass.
PLAN: Double depth centre block of 5 bays, flanked by 2-storeyed replacements for the former flanking wings. To the right of the right hand replacement wing, a single storeyed flat-roofed porch, now overbuilt by late C20 development .
FRONT ( south ) ELEVATION: The centre block is symmetrical, with stone basement and moulded eaves cornice with blocking course; segmental headed basement windows with triple keystones, and basement area protected by railings on a stone plinth. Central doorway, approached by flight of 3 steps with pedimented architrave, panelled door and plain overlight. Glazing bar sash windows to all floors, those to the upper floor smaller than those below, all with moulded architraves and triple keystones. Ground floor windows have raised cills. Late C20 wings to either side are substantially glass fronted with slender metal posts and a broad metal fascia which aligns with the cornice of the attached porch to the right. This projects beyond the earlier building line, with pilasters supporting a frieze and a rusticated semi-circular arch below a deep cornice supported on console brackets. The frieze bears the lettering BANK'.
INTERIOR: Completely remodelled to form shop units, but with compartments respecting the spatial arrangement of the former plan. Original fixtures retained in entrance hall and to front window openings, including doors, plasterwork and window shutters.
HISTORY: The house was built for a Dr Peter Waring, and was used as banking premises from c.1788. Much internal remodelling took place in several major phases, the most recent in the 1990's.
A substantial and finely detailed early C18 town house, which despite internal remodelling retains much early fabric, and which continues to make a major contribution to the richly-varied street scape of central Manchester.
Listing NGR: SJ8379798316
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings