This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.1103 / 54°6'37"N
Longitude: -3.225 / 3°13'30"W
OS Eastings: 320008
OS Northings: 468967
OS Grid: SD200689
Mapcode National: GBR 5NXX.L9
Mapcode Global: WH72H.FYHB
Plus Code: 9C6R4Q6F+4X
Entry Name: Alfred Barrow School, Centre Block
Listing Date: 20 December 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1283022
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388456
Location: Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA14
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Barrow-in-Furness
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Barrow-in-Furness St George
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
BARROW IN FURNESS
SD2068NW DUKE STREET
708-1/14/57 (North East side)
Alfred Barrow School, centre block
School. 1888. By JY McIntosh. Red brick with ashlar sandstone
dressings, graduated slate roof. U-shaped plan having gabled
crosswings and double-depth centre; in Renaissance style.
2 storeys with half-basement; 1:4:1 bays. Basement has
pedimented central doorway beneath offset band. Upper floors
have architraved cross-windows linked by continuous sill and
transom bands and by mid-floor sunken panels with ribbons,
swags and flowers carved in relief; modillioned eaves cornice.
Wings have fielded apron panels to mullioned and transomed
3-light windows in moulded surrounds with ballflower ornament;
corbel tables beneath mid-floor panels that read 'HIGHER GRADE
SCHOOL'; hoodmould over 1st-floor windows. Gables have a
quatrefoil in keyed oculus, shaped kneelers moulded copings
and finials (that to front left missing); terracotta ridge
Short right return of left wing has panelled door under basket
arch with hoodmould. Left return of same wing: transomed 1-
and 2-light windows; doorway on right has panelled double
doors in pilastered and pedimented surround with carved panel
and word 'COOKERY' in tympanum. Lombard frieze at eaves.
INTERIOR: central part has transverse partition wall formed by
3-bay arcade of moulded brick basket arches with consoles on
the keystones; within are original part-glazed partitions and
classroom doors beneath wooden tracery; former hall at front
has later divisions. Scheme repeated on 1st floor, the arches
obscured by false ceiling.
Foundation stone (beneath front-left window) laid by Lady
Cavendish on 11.8.1888; when completed provided for the higher
education of up to 1,200 pupils. Later additions not of
Listing NGR: SD2000868967
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings