This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.1389 / 54°8'19"N
Longitude: -3.1942 / 3°11'39"W
OS Eastings: 322078
OS Northings: 472107
OS Grid: SD220721
Mapcode National: GBR 6N4L.82
Mapcode Global: WH72H.X74D
Entry Name: Home Farmhouse and Attached Farm Buildings
Listing Date: 22 October 1974
Last Amended: 20 December 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1283028
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388494
Location: Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA13
Electoral Ward/Division: Roosecote
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Dalton-in-Furness St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
BARROW IN FURNESS
SD27SW MANOR ROAD
708-1/4/88 (North side (off))
22/10/74 Home Farmhouse and attached farm
(Formerly Listed as:
MANOR ROAD (OFF)
Home Farm inc cottage, stables,
coach house & service block to
Planned home farm shown as Abbot's Wood House on OS map.
c1877. By Paley and Austin (plans) to serve Sir James
Ramsden's home Abbotswood (demolished). Sawn ashlar sandstone,
red tile roofs with roll-moulded ridges.
U-shaped range set around courtyard comprises (clockwise): T-
shaped cottage of 1 storey and attic, 1 storey shippon and
calf house; across the end a barn with boiling house; right
return has pigsties, stable with loft and 1:3 bay cart shed.
Cottage: chamfered, mullioned windows with 8-pane sashes;
front has gable to left with 3-light under 2-light window; set
back to right are single and 2-light windows. Gable bargeboard
with pendant; lower ridge to right has stack with shared
plinth to 4 round flues; hipped right end incorporates
side-facing, 3-light dormer. Right return (to courtyard):
3-light window to ground floor; door within verandah to right;
hipped roof dormer over. Verandah continues to right, the roof
supported on wooden posts and the eaves broken by 2 gablets;
within are doors and mullioned windows to the shippon et al;
louvred ridge vents.
Barn (across end): large doors beneath gable flanked by
3-light and 4-light mullioned windows, the latter with
ventilation grills; tall stack rises from roof slope on left.
Right return range: manure house and 2 pigsties with roof
dormer over. Stable on right has square-headed door on left
and external steps to central loft door flanked by paired
slits; hipped roof with bell turret having swept, tiled
spirelet with finial. Bay 1 of cartshed to right has doorway,
the other 3 bays open-fronted with wooden posts and profiled
braces. Cart shed front gable with 5 slits below corbelled
wooden dovecote with 16 nesting holes. Courtyard enclosed by
later iron gates hung on original round gate piers.
Plans survive, the application signed by Paley and Austin;
(Building Plans Register: 1877-: 1183).
Listing NGR: SD2208372110
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings