This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7444 / 53°44'39"N
Longitude: -0.3299 / 0°19'47"W
OS Eastings: 510240
OS Northings: 428854
OS Grid: TA102288
Mapcode National: GBR GPP.Y4
Mapcode Global: WHGFR.X42S
Entry Name: Georgian Houses wilberforce House Museum
Listing Date: 13 October 1952
Last Amended: 21 January 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1283087
English Heritage Legacy ID: 387593
Location: Kingston upon Hull, HU1
County: City of Kingston upon Hull
Electoral Ward/Division: Myton
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Hull
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Hull (Lowgate) St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: York
KINGSTON UPON HULL
TA1028NW HIGH STREET
680-1/23/176 (South East side)
13/10/52 Nos.23 AND 24
Georgian Houses (part of Wilberforce
(Formerly Listed as:
(Formerly Listed as:
2 houses, now part of the Wilberforce House Museum (qv).
c1760, restored c1945, incorporated into museum 1956. For
James Hamilton, tar merchant. Brick with painted ashlar
dressings and pantile roofs with 2 side wall stacks. Plinth,
ground floor and first-floor sill bands, coped parapet. 3
storeys; 6 window range of 12-pane sashes. Windows have brick
flat arches and keystones. Above again, six 9-pane sashes.
paired central ashlar doorcase with 3 Roman Ionic
half-columns, pulvinated frieze, dentillated cornice and
pediment. Fielded 6-panel doors. On either side, 2 dummy
windows. INTERIOR has central entrance hall divided by fluted
Ionic plaster columns, with fielded panelled dado and enriched
cornices. 2 fielded 6-panel doors. On either side, a
round-arched opening leading to a stairwell with wooden dogleg
stair with vase and stem balusters and ramped scrolled
handrail. On the landing, a Venetian window. First floor front
rooms have enriched dentillated cornices and fireplaces
flanked by round-headed recesses.
(History of Wilberforce House: Rutherford, I: Hull).
Listing NGR: TA1024028854
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings