History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

19, Reading Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Swindon, Swindon

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5624 / 51°33'44"N

Longitude: -1.7891 / 1°47'20"W

OS Eastings: 414713

OS Northings: 184851

OS Grid: SU147848

Mapcode National: GBR YQ2.SZ

Mapcode Global: VHB3D.YZ0P

Plus Code: 9C3WH666+W8

Entry Name: 19, Reading Street

Listing Date: 17 February 1970

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1283428

English Heritage Legacy ID: 318802

Location: Central Swindon South, Swindon, SN1

County: Swindon

Electoral Ward/Division: Central

Built-Up Area: Swindon

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Swindon New Town

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Stratton Saint Margaret

Description

This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 28/04/2020

SU 1484 NE
6/140

SWINDON
READING STREET (north side)
No. 19

17.2.70

GV
II
In order to house the workforce for the new Great Western Railway works, IK Brunel designed a new village to the south of the railway line. Brunel’s early layout drawings of 1840 show a grid similar to the final plan of 12 terraces in six blocks on either side of the High Street (from 1893 Emlyn Square). Construction started in 1842, and by 1855 most of the buildings had been completed. Houses and cottages of different types were built, as well as lodging houses. Brunel himself designed only the first block of 1842 (4-25 Bristol Street); as it was visible from the railway line, this is in a more decorative style than the others.

The financial difficulties of the contractors JD & C Rigby, who undertook to build 300 cottages but only completed 130, delayed the completion of the village until the 1850s. The cottages to the west of Emlyn Square were built first (1842-1843), followed by those on the east side (1845-1847). The end blocks towards Emlyn Square, containing corner shops on the ground floor, were built in 1845-1847, and the remainder, mostly end blocks on the outer ends of the streets, were built in 1853-1855. In 1966, the local authority acquired the cottages from British Rail and restored them. The village is one of Britain’s best-preserved and architecturally most ambitious railway settlements.

House in terrace. 1853-1854 for Great Western Railway Company. Ashlar limestone in black mortar. Slate roof, with brick gable stacks. Two storey, one-bay with through side-passage, two rooms deep. C20 rear addition. Chamfered door and window surrounds, fifteen-pane door. Four-pane sash windows.

Listing NGR: SU1471384851

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.