This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7501 / 51°45'0"N
Longitude: -1.2547 / 1°15'16"W
OS Eastings: 451547
OS Northings: 205977
OS Grid: SP515059
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z4.7LV
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.68KP
Entry Name: Cathedral Church
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1283787
English Heritage Legacy ID: 244873
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Holywell
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
12-JAN-54 CATHEDRAL CHURCH
Built as priory church of Austin Canons after mid C12. Early C13 top stage
and spire of central tower. Mid C13 Lady Chapel, as North aisle of presbytery. North aisle top stage, Early C14 Latin Chapel. In circa 1330 the chapel of St Lucy (East of South transept) extended eastwards. Late C15 clerestory and stone vault of presbytery. In 1524-29 West end destroyed to make room for Wolsey's college and a wall built between 4th columns West of the crossing. Cathedral refitted 1629-38 and restored 1856. In 1870 a general restoration under Sir Gilbert Scott which included removal of West wall, addition of 1 bay to nave, East window replaced by a restoration and the rebuilding of much of South aisle of presbytery. Has many good monuments, including an effigy of a Knight.
Listing NGR: SP5154805981
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings