This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4506 / 51°27'2"N
Longitude: -0.3174 / 0°19'2"W
OS Eastings: 517013
OS Northings: 173745
OS Grid: TQ170737
Mapcode National: GBR 76.8NL
Mapcode Global: VHGR2.GS1T
Entry Name: Fotheringay House tennyson House
Listing Date: 2 September 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1285639
English Heritage Legacy ID: 205564
Location: Richmond upon Thames, London, TW1
District: Richmond upon Thames
Electoral Ward/Division: Twickenham Riverside
Built-Up Area: Richmond upon Thames
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Stephen Twickenham
Church of England Diocese: London
5028 MONTPELIER ROW
No 14 (Fotheringay House)
No 15 (Tennyson House)
TQ 1673 & 1773 21/8 2.9.52
Slightly taller houses with red window dressings.
No 14: 5-windows, rusticated doorway as Nos 12 and 13, but with stucco cherubs head
ornament (imported) attached to keystone. Name on decorated plaque.
No 15: 4-windows wide. Elaborate doorcase (stained dark brown and possibly imported)
with enriched surround and deep cornice hood on carved consoles. No glazing bars
except to window to left of ground floor. Return of No 15 on Chapel Lane has a C18,
2-storey stucco bow projecting from first floor, and a Corinthian pilastered doorcase.
No 14 was at one time occupied by Joseph Skelton, antiquarian and engraver, who
published the 1823 "Oxonia Antiqua Restaurata". No 15 was formerly called Chapel
House and later Holyrood House. It was occupied in 1850 by Tennyson who is said to
have written "In Memoriam" there.
Listing NGR: TQ1701373745
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings