This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3009 / 52°18'3"N
Longitude: -0.6933 / 0°41'35"W
OS Eastings: 489200
OS Northings: 267778
OS Grid: SP892677
Mapcode National: GBR CX2.RJ4
Mapcode Global: VHDRW.XFVH
Entry Name: The Hind Hotel
Listing Date: 9 June 1970
Last Amended: 12 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1286782
English Heritage Legacy ID: 233806
Location: Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, NN8
Electoral Ward/Division: Swanspool
Built-Up Area: Wellingborough
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Wellingborough
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/11/2016
SP 8967 NW,
SHEEP STREET (West side),
The Hind Hotel
(Formerly listed as: The Golden Hind Hotel, and Coleman Bird Associates Shop)
(Previously listed as: The Hind Hotel)
Hotel and former shop. c.1645. Mid C18 and late C19. Squared coursed ironstone with
slate, stone slate and plain tile-roofs. Originally courtyard plan. 2 storeys
with attic. Main front of 5-window range. Central arched entrance has moulded
stone surround with large wooden porch supported on pairs of square Doric
columns with turned balustrade above supporting a painted coat of arms and
figure of golden hind; all c.1891. Ground floor windows are 2-light
stone-mullion windows with leaded lights c.1872. Three 3-light stone mullion
Venetian style windows at first floor alternating with 4-light stone mullion and
transom windows; all probably C17 with leaded lights. 3 equal gables have
3-light stone mullion Venetian style attic windows. Moulded stone string course
above first floor windows. Ashlar parapet to eaves and gables. 2 rainwater heads
to either side of porch have date 1741 and similar rainwater to far left and
right have date 1769. Brick and stone stacks at ridge. 2-bay, 3-storey extension
to left is dated 1902 and of similar style with stone-mullion windows to each
floor. The ground floor was once a shop. North range to right of main front,
partially reconstructed c,1891, has a l0-bay centre range of 2- and 3-light
stone mullion window with leaded lights. 6-light, C17, stone mullion window with
transom to gable at far left has similar 3-light attic window above. c.1891
carriage arch with half timber upper storey to right and C17 gable with stone
mullion windows to far right. Ashlar gable parapets and kneelers. Rear
elevations altered C19 and C20 with section of pitched roof to far left having
original plain tiles. The courtyard, reputed to have had open colonnade, is now
almost enclosed by C19 extensions.
INTERIOR: staircase part C17 has heavy turned balustrade and tall newel finials. First floor rooms to main front have some C18 panelling, probably reset. The Cromwell Room to the first floor of the north range has a C17 carved ceiling beam, moulded plaster ceiling and panelled walls, that to the right of the fireplace has a secret catch giving access to a vestibule beyond; the various artefacts in this room may be reset.
(History of Wellingborough: J. and M. Palmer).
Listing NGR: SP8920067778
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings