This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7753 / 50°46'30"N
Longitude: -2.7325 / 2°43'57"W
OS Eastings: 348445
OS Northings: 97552
OS Grid: SY484975
Mapcode National: GBR PQ.2D0P
Mapcode Global: FRA 5751.79M
Entry Name: Christ Church melplash Church melplash Church (Christ Church)
Listing Date: 31 July 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1287858
English Heritage Legacy ID: 401211
Location: Netherbury, Dorset, Dorset, DT6
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Netherbury
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Melplash and Mapperton Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 49 NE NETHERBURY MELPLASH
7/138 Melplash Church
Church in neo-Romanesque style. 1845-6 by Benjamin Ferrey for
James Bandinel, in memory of his father Dr. Bandinel, vicar of
Netherbury and Beaminster. Cruciform with apsidal Chancel, North
vestry, Central Tower, North and South Transepts, Nave and South
Porch. Local rubble walls, with Ham Hall stone dressings. Slate
and lead roofs. All the openings have moulded round heads and
most of the jambs have attached shafts with scalloped capitals
and moulded bases. Chancel : 2 pilaster buttresses to full height
of apse and a stepped corbel table under the eaves. Apse has five
small single-light windows. Vestry: apsidal east end and a billet-
moulded eaves cornice. The east window and north door with nail-
head enrichment. North door, plank with a round head. Central
tower, one stage above the crossing. Each face with a main arch
enclosing two tall windows and flanked by recesses. Round sinkings
above. Square tower stair projects in the angle between the south
transept and nave. Transepts, north and south walls of 3 stages.
South transept has a doorway of 2 enriched orders, with shafted jambs
and roll-mould heads. Nave: of 4 bays, windows with heads shaped
to a broad trefoil. Pilaster buttresses with inverted, scalloped
ogee capitals. West wall is in three stages. South Porch: moulded
parapet and small engaged shafts at the angles. Entrance arch is of
3 plain orders with shafted jambs and 2 rolls. Interior: chancel-
roof, arch-bracing to a transverse collar on the chord of the apse.
Nave roof: high arch-braced collar, springing from short hammer-
posts, ashlaring at wall-plate. (Now used as Hall and Badminton
Court and screened off.) Crossing with coupled shafts and scallop
capitals, in each direction, with spur bases. Fittings: Brasses
on the south wall of the south transept 1) date of building and
directing that all seats to be free. 2) Containing quotations from
Chronicles, ch. 29, vv. lO, 14, 18. Font: Cl9, stone, similar to
the Cl2 font at Whitchurch Canonicorum.
Source: R.C.H.M. Dorset I, p 172 (2). Dorset County Chronicle,
22nd May, 1845.
Listing NGR: SY4844597552
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings