This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7567 / 52°45'24"N
Longitude: 0.3939 / 0°23'38"E
OS Eastings: 561648
OS Northings: 320361
OS Grid: TF616203
Mapcode National: GBR N3Q.4DZ
Mapcode Global: WHJP1.0ZV1
Entry Name: Bishop's Lynn House
Listing Date: 1 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1289527
English Heritage Legacy ID: 384344
Location: King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE30
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Town: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Electoral Ward/Division: St Margarets with St Nicholas
Built-Up Area: King's Lynn
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
TF6120SE TUESDAY MARKET PLACE
610-1/7/267 (West side)
Bishop's Lynn House
House, now offices. Late C14 or C15 cellars. Original house
divided into 2 properties in late C16, purchased 1725 by the
merchant William Bagge, who immediately re-fronted the south
half of facade. House converted into one property c1760,
northern half rebuilt for Thomas Bagge 1803-4 probably by S
Newham & Son. Rear wing demolished 1975.
Red and brown brick. Slate roof. South half of east front of 3
storeys in 5 bays. Central panelled door in brick doorcase
with Tuscan pilasters and metope frieze below pediment.
Recessed sashes with concealed boxes are replacements,
possibly of 1803: glazing bars, gauged skewback arches and
brick aprons. Heavy cornice below attic storey. Parapet
conceals gabled roof.Internal south gable-end stack. North
part of 1803-4 in brown brick. 3 storeys in 4 bays, 3 bays of
which make up a full height bow to north. Sashes with glazing
bars and gauged skewback arches. No doorway. Parapet. Internal
gable-end north stack.
INTERIOR. Fittings c1725-30. Passage leads from door to
staircase hall, the passage with large-framed panelling
terminating in a panelled door below a 6-vaned fanlight.
Kentian chimneypiece in west wall with central mask in frieze
flanked by acorn and leaf swags. Open string staircase with 3
bobbin and turned balusters to each tread. Wide moulded ramped
and wreathed handrail returns to balcony at north end. Various
blocked windows on north side indicate that former rear wing
was a later addition. Cellar runs under north part of house
parallel to Page Stair Lane. Rectangular with 2 octagonal
brick piers each supporting 8 chamfered ribs arching to wall
piers on polygonal bases. Wall arches are 4-centred. Eastern
half has later brick partitions obscuring the plan. C18 steps
lead up to Page Stair Lane and a door.
Listing NGR: TF6164820361
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings