History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Corner House and Surgery

A Grade II Listed Building in Newbury, West Berkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4014 / 51°24'5"N

Longitude: -1.3222 / 1°19'19"W

OS Eastings: 447248

OS Northings: 167152

OS Grid: SU472671

Mapcode National: GBR 81Z.2JW

Mapcode Global: VHCZK.11CH

Entry Name: The Corner House and Surgery

Listing Date: 10 June 1969

Last Amended: 2 September 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1289769

English Heritage Legacy ID: 396434

Location: Newbury, West Berkshire, RG14

County: West Berkshire

Civil Parish: Newbury

Built-Up Area: Newbury

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Newbury St Nicolas

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Newbury

Listing Text

1. WHARF STREET
5127
The Corner House and
Surgery (formerly listed
as Kendrick House)
SU 4767 SW 6/229 10.6.69

II GV


2.
Originally 2 separate buildings successively frinting The Wharf.
Western house Mid C18 (before 1768), which had an early C19 block built in front
on the east side (eastern house). Three storeys. Double pile plan, Hipped tile
roof. Probably timber framed with rendered south front and tile-bung cladding.
Flush framed, segmental-headed sash and casement windows, some with glazing bars.
Eastern house Early C19 (before 1837) added later the eastern side of the earlier
house. Two storeys and dormers. Double fronted with 3 windows. Hipped tile roof
with brick stack. Stuccoed brick with dentil eaves cornice. Two flat-headed sash
dormers. Recessed sash windows with sidelights and glazing bars. North ground
floor window altered. Central entrance with wooden doorcase with panelled pilasters
carrying entablature; doorway with sidelights, patterned radial fanlight and raised
and fielded panel door. A north room on the 1st floor has a good doorframe and dado.


Listing NGR: SU4724867152

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

1. WHARF STREET
5127
The Corner House and
Surgery (formerly listed
as Kendrick House)
SU 4767 SW 6/229 10.6.69

II GV


2.
Originally 2 separate buildings successively frinting The Wharf.
Western house Mid C18 (before 1768), which had an early C19 block built in front
on the east side (eastern house). Three storeys. Double pile plan, Hipped tile
roof. Probably timber framed with rendered south front and tile-bung cladding.
Flush framed, segmental-headed sash and casement windows, some with glazing bars.
Eastern house Early C19 (before 1837) added later the eastern side of the earlier
house. Two storeys and dormers. Double fronted with 3 windows. Hipped tile roof
with brick stack. Stuccoed brick with dentil eaves cornice. Two flat-headed sash
dormers. Recessed sash windows with sidelights and glazing bars. North ground
floor window altered. Central entrance with wooden doorcase with panelled pilasters
carrying entablature; doorway with sidelights, patterned radial fanlight and raised
and fielded panel door. A north room on the 1st floor has a good doorframe and dado.


Listing NGR: SU4724867152

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.