History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Queen Victoria Memorial

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0479 / 54°2'52"N

Longitude: -2.7977 / 2°47'51"W

OS Eastings: 347867

OS Northings: 461615

OS Grid: SD478616

Mapcode National: GBR 8PXM.3Q

Mapcode Global: WH847.0J16

Entry Name: Queen Victoria Memorial

Listing Date: 18 February 1970

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1290440

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383140

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Town: Lancaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Lancaster

Listing Text


LANCASTER

SD4761NE DALTON SQUARE
1685-1/7/109 Queen Victoria Memorial
18/02/70

GV II*

Monument to Queen Victoria. 1906. Executed by Herbert Hampton
and presented by Lord Ashton. Portland stone ashlar with
bronze reliefs and statuary. The principal elements are a
large square plinth, surrounded by bas-relief panels, and a
tall pedestal on which stands a statue. The plinth, approx 7m
square and mounted on 2 steps, is hollow-sided with rounded
corners; its base is shaped as a seat with a hollowed
back-rest. Beneath a prominent cornice, its sides are filled
with large bas-reliefs portraying groups of eminent
Victorians, framed by bronze pilasters, and its corners are
occupied by exuberantly executed high-relief representations
of Wisdom, Truth, Liberty and Justice, each with a seated
woman surrounded by angels and putti. On top of the plinth,
seated lions at the corners guard a tall tapered pedestal, on
which stands the statue of the Queen, elderly but sternly
regal; she is bearing a mace and facing the Town Hall (qv) on
the south side of the Square. The south side of the pedestal
bears an inscription in bronze lettering - 'VICTORIA
1837-1901' - beneath a roundel carved with the Royal Arms, and
the north side has an inscription in similar lettering: 'GIVEN
TO HIS NATIVE TOWN BY LORD ASHTON A.D. 1906'.


Listing NGR: SD4786761615

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.