This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7522 / 52°45'7"N
Longitude: 0.3939 / 0°23'37"E
OS Eastings: 561659
OS Northings: 319864
OS Grid: TF616198
Mapcode National: GBR N3Q.JDC
Mapcode Global: WHJP7.02TX
Entry Name: 29a,29b, Queen Street
Listing Date: 1 December 1951
Last Amended: 26 July 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1290483
English Heritage Legacy ID: 384251
Location: King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE30
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Town: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Electoral Ward/Division: St Margarets with St Nicholas
Built-Up Area: King's Lynn
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
TF6119NE QUEEN STREET
610-1/9/184 (West side)
01/12/51 Nos.29A AND 29B
(Formerly Listed as:
House. Early C17 on the existing L-shaped site, re-fronted mid
C18, District Council offices 1950-1982 when split into 2
properties. Extensive warehouse range ran west towards quay
from north end, returning into a 3-storey warehouse range
dated 1650, thus forming a narrow rear courtyard. In 1982 the
north warehouse range was demolished leaving the 1650 west
Red brick and tile roof. Present plan follows medieval form,
and is one of the last Lynn houses to use it: a street front
which would have been shops with a chamber over, made entirely
domestic in early C17 (probably for the merchant William Hoo).
Courtyard entered through the central passage with the hall
range on the south side at right-angles to the street range.
To west of this a kitchen with a solar above.
Facade to Queen street. 2 storeys with dormer attic in 5 bays.
Mid C18. Red brick still laid in English bond. Panelled
central door in doorcase with panelled reveals under open
pediment and with a fanlight is a late C18 replacement of the
time when the sashes were replaced. Sashes have glazing bars
and gauged skewback arches set into early C18 flush frames.
Early C19 tripartite sash window over door with glazing bars.
Gabled roof with 2 gabled dormers. C17 internal gable-end
Rear of property reached via central passage from door, the
rear doors set in an early C19 gault brick porch extension.
Ovolo jambs with barred tongue stops remain to C17 doorway,
now within. Rear elevations colourwashed, the main accents are
the 4-light transomed timber hall window on north side of
cross wing and a pair of C18 sashes above and to the right
lighting original solar. They have glazing bars.
INTERIOR. Hall entered direct from rear of passage. Dais
window has wave-moulded jambs and mullions. High in south wall
is a blocked 4-light mullioned window. Sandstone chimneypiece
in west wall: depressed basket arch and chamfered and
tongue-stopped jambs. Closed well staircase rises from east
end to principal front room. Closed string, moulded splat
balusters, moulded handrail and square newels with ball
finials. A similar, straight, flight rises to right of west
fireplace to former solar, but now ends in a cupboard
following subdivision of property in 1982. Plaster ceiling in
form of 2 bulbous egg-shaped bosses within moulded oval
fields. Ground floor front room has early C18 panelling and an
early C17 ovolo and hollow-moulded bridging beam.
Entire front range at first floor was a single room when
constructed with the staircase opening directly into it at
south-west corner. Later partitioning to form corridor along
west side. Early C17 small-framed masons' mitre panelling
throughout, relocated when necessay on partitioning. North
overmantel enriched with 2 fielded panels with geometric
patterning separated by 3 fluted pilaster strips. Sunk
quadrant bridging beams with tongue stops.
Roof of front range of principals, 2 tiers butt purlins and
ridge piece. Dormers are in original positions although
renewed. Roof of rear cross wing similar, but with collars.
Solar wing now entered through doorway in late C20 brick
extension linking original range to warehouse at west. Solar
to first floor is now principal room. Panelled throughout with
early C17 small-framed masons' mitre panelling with a
decorated arcade frieze. The principal bridging beam is
emphasised by fluted pilasters in the panelling. Doorway to
left of fireplace in east wall hides entrance point to former
Listing NGR: TF6165919864
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings