History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

15 and 17, Castle Hill

A Grade II Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0496 / 54°2'58"N

Longitude: -2.804 / 2°48'14"W

OS Eastings: 347454

OS Northings: 461808

OS Grid: SD474618

Mapcode National: GBR 8PVM.Q3

Mapcode Global: WH846.WGXW

Entry Name: 15 and 17, Castle Hill

Listing Date: 22 December 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1290853

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383069

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Town: Lancaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Lancaster

Listing Text


LANCASTER

SD4761NW CASTLE HILL
1685-1/6/36 (East side)
22/12/53 Nos.15 AND 17

GV II

Pair of cottages, now a folk museum and a house. 1739,
converted c1820 into 2 cottages, and restored c1977. Roughly
coursed sandstone rubble with quoins, stone slate roof, and a
gable chimney stack on the left. Shallow double-depth plan. 2
low storeys and 3 bays, previously symmetrical around 3
doorways, of which the central one led to the back yard; the
right-hand doorway was recently altered as a window, while the
remaining coupled pair have chamfered surrounds and deep
lintels, inscribed 'RTA' and '1739' above the central jamb,
(formerly a semicircular plaque with the same initials over
the date above the original central doorway). To left the
first bay has a square chamfered surround with a C19
sixteen-pane sashed window, similar to that in the former
right-hand doorway. To right a large square 20-pane sashed
window within a plain surround, which has the marks of former
shutter-lugs in the jambs. The first floor has 3 low
rectangular windows, all now with C19 eight-pane sashes but
with evidence of original chamfered flush mullions in the
centre. To the rear, just outside the present yard wall, is a
restored well protected by a circular wall.
INTERIOR: in the museum is a fireplace with shouldered jambs
and a small cupboard in the staircase with a fielded panelled
door and H-hinges.


Listing NGR: SD4745461806

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.