This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8342 / 51°50'3"N
Longitude: 0.1307 / 0°7'50"E
OS Eastings: 546907
OS Northings: 217212
OS Grid: TL469172
Mapcode National: GBR LCR.XJJ
Mapcode Global: VHHM1.65Y7
Entry Name: Shingle Hall with Walls Radiating to North East,south East and South West 160 Metres West of Road
Listing Date: 30 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1290942
English Heritage Legacy ID: 394250
Location: High Wych, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, CM21
Civil Parish: High Wych
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Sawbridgeworth
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 41 NE HIGH WYCH ROOK END LANE
4/39 Shingle Hall with walls
radiating to NE, SE and
SW 160 metres W of road
House and forecourt walls. C17 or earlier house of Leventhorpe
family, with later red brick front range, refronted in C19.
Large double-fronted, double pile, 2 storeys and cellar, facing
E, at site of manor house of medieval joint manors of Shingle
Hall and Mathams, which had 15 hearths at the Hearth Tax of 1666.
The wider rear range is plastered probably timberframed, has
irregular fenestration, and is the focus of C16 red brick garden
walls in English bond radiating 5 metres to NE, 16 metres to SE
and 20 metres to SW. Parallel hipped roofs to front and rear
parts, with chimneys on middle wall. Raised band of brickwork at
1st floor level on E front, returns on N flank. Central door,
sash windows, and 2 single storey canted bays. Projecting porch
off-centre at rear. The Leventhorpe family of Shingle Hall were
one of the richest landowners in the area during the C15, C16 and
C17. The red brick garden walls presumably date from the time of
John Leventhorpe, Sheriff of Hertfordshire in 1593-4, knighted in
1603 and created baronet in 1622. The house stands at the centre
of a group of historic farm buildings. (VCH III (1912) 339-40:
WEA I (1966) 17).
Listing NGR: TL4690717212
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings