This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7555 / 52°45'19"N
Longitude: 0.3934 / 0°23'36"E
OS Eastings: 561618
OS Northings: 320224
OS Grid: TF616202
Mapcode National: GBR N3Q.B91
Mapcode Global: WHJP1.0ZMZ
Entry Name: Guildhall of St George
Listing Date: 1 December 1951
Last Amended: 26 July 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1290960
English Heritage Legacy ID: 384174
Location: King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE30
District: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Town: King's Lynn and West Norfolk
Electoral Ward/Division: St Margarets with St Nicholas
Built-Up Area: King's Lynn
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
TF6120SE KING STREET
610-1/7/104 (West side)
01/12/51 Guildhall of St George
(Formerly Listed as:
Guildhall for the Guild of St George, now a theatre and
restaurant. Founded 1376, granted charter 1406, constructed
1410-1420. Various theatre and warehouse functions from mid
C16, restored 1948-51 by Marshall Sisson and passed to The
Brick with ashlar dressings and plaintile roof. Rectangular
range running west with the gable-end to the road.
2 storeys. Facade has one 4-centred doorway right and left
with hood moulds on label stops, the arches and jambs
double-chamfered with a hollow separating the chamfers. The
doors are 1949. Between them is a blocked doorway now used a a
display case. Above is a 6-light double-transomed panel
tracery window with arches to the upper transom lights and the
window head, all much restored. Gabled roof. Facade closed to
either side by polygonal corner turrets stepping up to the
eaves, now encased by adjoining buildings, that to the south
North and south flanking walls supported on stepped
buttresses, those to the north repaired in C18 and C19, those
to the south repaired C20. Pedestrian arches cut through both
sets, the northern ones allowed a town drain to flow alongside
On the north side the 2-light mullioned brick windows lighting
the warehouse undercroft remain, one between each buttresss,
but to the south they have been largely obliterated by later
alterations and new building. Four 3-light transomed windows
to north side at first floor level, one between each buttress,
with arched lights: these light the great hall. The eastern
bay is lit through a 3-light mullioned window, c1950.
The south side retains 2 similar transomed windows and has
various C20 fire escape doors, stairs and other impedimenta.
The western gable head has additions of 1948 at first floor
level, and earlier buildings abut the ground floor.
INTERIOR. Internal disposition comprises a passageway to the
south running the whole length of the building, entered from
the corresponding doorway in the facade.
The other doorway opens into the C20 foyer and leads to a
flight of steps on the north side descending into the
undercroft, now a restaurant. Against the east wall of the
foyer is a C20 staircase in C17 style rising to the great hall
The south passage has various doorways cut through the brick
wall to the north side serving the undercroft and rehearsal
rooms to the west end, all of post C16 date. On its south side
are C20 toilet facilities which have blocked mullioned windows
formerly lighting the passage. The original function of the
passage was to provide accesss to the rear and the river.
Heavy bridging beams support very wide floorboards, some of
the beams shaved to increase headroom.
The foyer has C20 detailing except for a wave-moulded bridging
beam running north-south and 2 chamfered bridging beams
running east-west, set higher up. The undercroft originally
had a flat timber ceiling supported on heavy bridging beams,
part of which exists to the east end. This replaced in early
C18 with a brick elliptical vault.
The guildhall on the first floor is now ramped up at the east
end and fitted with seating. Multiple-roll moulded wall plates
supporting ashlaring and a scissor-braced roof of 61 trusses.
The external buttresses removed the need for tie-beams and
This is said to be the largest complete medieval guildhall in
England. Scheduled Ancient Monument.
Listing NGR: TF6161820224
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings