History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Liverpool Road Railway Station station Masters House

A Grade I Listed Building in City Centre, Manchester

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.4773 / 53°28'38"N

Longitude: -2.2583 / 2°15'29"W

OS Eastings: 382952

OS Northings: 397867

OS Grid: SJ829978

Mapcode National: GBR DFJ.PH

Mapcode Global: WHB9G.8VVM

Entry Name: Former Liverpool Road Railway Station station Masters House

Listing Date: 18 December 1963

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1291477

English Heritage Legacy ID: 388277

Location: Manchester, M3

County: Manchester

Electoral Ward/Division: City Centre

Built-Up Area: Manchester

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Manchester St Ann

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


698-1/18/213 (North side)
18/12/63 Former Liverpool Road Railway
Station, and Station Master's House


Also known as: Museum of Science and Industry, Liverpool Road
Passenger railway station at terminus of Liverpool and
Manchester Railway, now part of museum complex. 1830, by
George Stephenson for the Liverpool and Manchester Railway
Company, with attached house of 1808, formerly occupied by
station agent; altered. Red brick, the booking offices faced
with sandstone ashlar and stucco; hipped slate roofs.
Rectangular plan parallel to street, with house to left and
added range of former shops to right. Classical style. The
BOOKING OFFICES, which back onto an embankment carrying the
railway line at 1st floor level to the rear, have a 2-storey
4-bay facade (2:1:2:1 windows), symmetrical except for the 4th
bay, with channelled rustication to the ground floor, panelled
pilasters to the upper floor, a moulded cornice and high
parapet with cornice and blocking course. The 2nd bay (the
centre of the symmetrical portion, containing the entrance to
the 1st Class booking hall) breaks forward slightly, has a
large square-headed doorway with an architrave of coupled
pilasters, moulded cornice and blocking course surmounted by a
vase-pedestal sundial, and a recessed panelled door with
rectangular overlight; and at 1st floor a tripartite sashed
window with a cornice. The flanking bays have 15-pane sashed
windows at ground floor flanked by wide segmental-headed
tripartite sashed windows with glazing bars, and 12-pane
sashes at 1st floor with moulded architraves. The 4th bay,
containing the entrance to the 2nd Class booking hall, has a
doorway at ground floor similar to the other but with single
pilasters, and a 12-pane sash above like the others. Interior:
separate booking halls and staircases leading to platform.
Rear: 2 doorways to the platform with moulded stone surrounds,
a tripartite sashed window to the left of the 1st Class
doorway and a one-light sash to the left of the other. To the
east, an added hipped-roof platform canopy on slender iron
columns (C20 offices with glazed screen wall inserted under
this roof). The former HOUSE to the left of the booking
offices, 3 storeys and 3 bays to the same height, symmetrical,
has a doorway with pedimented stone architrave, sashed windows
of 16 panes at ground and 1st floors and 12 panes at 2nd
floor, all with raised sills and flat-arched heads, and
modillioned eaves; and a double-splayed left corner to the
return wall, with sashed and blind windows. To the right of
the booking offices is a long 9-bay range, recently rebuilt or
restored, formerly with shops at ground floor and a train shed
above, which is stuccoed at ground floor, has coupled
pilasters, 1st-floor sill-band, moulded cornice and high brick
parapet (carried across from the booking offices), and most
bays with symmetrical openings including a round-headed
doorway at ground floor flanked by windows in segmental-headed
blank arches, and 2 windows above. HISTORY: oldest surviving
passenger railway station in the world; ceased to handle
passenger traffic in 1844 (when Hunt's Bank station was
opened, now Victoria Station, q.v.), but continued in use as
goods station until 1975. Forms group with Old Warehouse on
opposite side of railway track (q.v.).

Listing NGR: SJ8295297867

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.