History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Golden Lion Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Carlisle, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.8888 / 54°53'19"N

Longitude: -2.9271 / 2°55'37"W

OS Eastings: 340624

OS Northings: 555286

OS Grid: NY406552

Mapcode National: GBR 8C0X.29

Mapcode Global: WH803.0DD1

Plus Code: 9C6VV3QF+G4

Entry Name: The Golden Lion Public House

Listing Date: 22 March 1974

Last Amended: 11 April 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1291894

English Heritage Legacy ID: 386852

Location: Cathedral and Castle, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA1

County: Cumbria

Electoral Ward/Division: Currock

Built-Up Area: Carlisle

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Carlisle St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Carlisle

Description


CARLISLE

NY4055 ST NICHOLAS STREET
671-1/11/255 (West side)
22/03/74 Nos.2 AND 4
The Golden Lion Public House
(Formerly Listed as:
BOTCHERGATE
(South West side)
Golden Lion Inn)

GV II

Probably originally 3 houses, now public house. Early C19 with
1879 and 1897 alterations. Painted stucco walls, on chamfered
plinth, with angle pilasters, sill band and eaves cornice.
Graduated local slate roof with hipped corner; C19 ridge and
end chimney stacks.
2 storeys, 4 unequal bays, with 5-bay return facing onto
Princess Street. Facade has paired central panelled doors and
overlights separated by engaged column in pilastered surround.
Flanking canted bay casement windows under overall signboard
with stucco cornice, continued round the return and supported
by pilasters. Raised 2 bays over doorways have paired sash
windows. These and other upper floor windows are in plain
reveals. Angled doorway on corner. Return has right doorway
and large ground-floor casements in pilastered surrounds.
Upper floor windows similar to facade.
INTERIOR has etched and stained leaded-glass doors and panels.
Plans in Cumbria County Record Office show internal
alterations approved 28 February 1879, Ca/E4/1070; further
alterations introduced the bay windows and unification of what
had been No.1 Princess Street into the building, approved
1897, Ca/E4/12958.


Listing NGR: NY4062455286

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.