This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.115 / 54°6'54"N
Longitude: -3.2301 / 3°13'48"W
OS Eastings: 319688
OS Northings: 469496
OS Grid: SD196694
Mapcode National: GBR 5NWV.HM
Mapcode Global: WH72H.CT3Q
Plus Code: 9C6R4Q89+2X
Entry Name: Ramsden Hall
Listing Date: 6 May 1976
Last Amended: 20 December 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1292603
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388393
Location: Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA14
Electoral Ward/Division: Hindpool
Built-Up Area: Barrow-in-Furness
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Barrow-in-Furness St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
BARROW IN FURNESS
SD1969SE ABBEY ROAD
708-1/12/24 (North West side)
06/05/76 Ramsden Hall
(Formerly Listed as:
Baths now disused. 1872. Patron James Ramsden. Brindled brick,
graduated slate roofs.
1-storey aisles enveloping taller centre with clerestorey;
chimney to rear left corner. 3x3 bays; symmetrical.
Entrance breaks forward and has double doors with narrow
panels beneath moulded segmental arch with ram's-head
keystone; frieze above inscribed 'PRESENTED TO THE TOWN BY
JAMES RAMDSEN ESQ. FIRST MAYOR'; cornice to swept roof with
flat top. Set back to each side are 3 small windows with
projecting sills and moulded, segmental arches with keystones;
dentilled parapet to flat roof. Behind these rise small gables
each with oculus and moulded ashlar copings. Taller centre
(set between the ridges of the gables) has sunken panel to
each side of tripartite casement beneath moulded brick arch
and broken segmental pediment with carving; hipped roof.
Right return: doorway on right has integral lantern in
overlight; 3 recessed panels each with 3 short windows having
linked sills and cambered arches. Lean-to roof (continued from
front gable) beneath 9 clerestorey windows having casements
with glazing bars; opening lights to windows 2, 5 and 8 have
scrollwork beneath segmental cornices on shaped brackets. Left
return: round, tapered chimney rises from aisle roof.
INTERIOR: bathing facilities removed. 3-bay arcades with
wooden posts and arch braces. Front end has moulded imposts to
broad arch and pointed side arches; ribbons in relief over.
Other end originally the same but now altered. Queen-post
trusses. Converted to a public hall in 1886, later became
annexe to College of Further Education.
Listing NGR: SD1968869496
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings