This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.1154 / 54°6'55"N
Longitude: -3.2297 / 3°13'46"W
OS Eastings: 319716
OS Northings: 469537
OS Grid: SD197695
Mapcode National: GBR 5NWV.LH
Mapcode Global: WH72H.CT9F
Plus Code: 9C6R4Q8C+54
Entry Name: College of Further Education Annexe Including Front Railings and Piers
Listing Date: 6 May 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1292626
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388384
Location: Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA14
Electoral Ward/Division: Hindpool
Built-Up Area: Barrow-in-Furness
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Barrow-in-Furness St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
BARROW IN FURNESS
SD16NE ABBEY ROAD
708-1/5/15 (North West side)
06/05/76 College of Further Education annexe
including front railings and piers
Technical school with attached front railings, now college
annexe. 1900-1903. By Woodhouse and Willoughby. For Barrow
Corporation. Contractor W Gradwell and Co. Red brick with buff
terracotta banding and dressings; graduated slate roof.
Asymmetrical centre with gable of 2 storeys and attic on left
of 4-stage tower; reflected pair of 2-storey, 5-bay side wings
with railings across their fronts. Centre breaks forward: main
entrance on right has Gibbs surround under cartouche marked
'TECHNICAL SCHOOL'; flanking Ionic columns on plinths support
large brackets to segmentally-arched cornice.
Ground floor to left has moulded plinth and foundation stone
beneath 4 casements in shouldered architraves linked by
banding; double keystones; continuous cornice. 1st floor:
corbelled, balustraded balcony beneath large central window of
3 lights with 2 transoms, stained glass and keyed elliptical
arch; flanking this are Ionic pilasters with strapwork and
cross-windows with balustraded aprons.
Tower to right has spaced terracotta quoins and transomed
window. Entablature above the 3-light window has continuous
cornice. Attic storey: terracotta gable on left has 4-light
mullioned window flanked by pilasters and scrolled supporters;
semi-octagonal turret with obelisk finial on left; dentilled
cornice beneath round-arched pediment with Borough Arms in
tympanum. Banded and corniced stacks on ridge to rear. 3rd
stage of tower on right has banded diagonal pilasters set on
cartouches; 3-light mullioned window recessed beneath keyed
elliptical arch; cornice. Top stage: corner pedestals with
obelisks; octagonal cupola with round-arched openings within
Ionic colonnade; rounded dome with scroll finials.
Left sidewing: offset buttresses between bays; sill band to
mullioned and transomed windows having casements with glazing
bars and lintels with arched panels; central windows have
wider, round-arched middle light; continuous cornice. 1st
floor: terracotta bands, no windows; outer buttresses end in
scrolls, central 2 rise as Ionic pilasters to flank a
terracotta panel set on Lombard frieze with shells; panel
depicts The Arts: 6 robed females (one enthroned) with motto
'ARS LONGA VITA BREVIS'. Terracotta entablature with
modillioned cornice; '1901' on rain-water heads. Above the
panel is a round-arched gable with cartouche and obelisks.
Continuous skylight; coped gable on left has scrolled kneelers
and arched apex; terracotta ridges.
Right side wing is similar; its panel depicts aspects of
technology and has motto 'Labor Omnia Vincit'; no gable above
and no skylights. Left return: broad gable of side-wing then
set forward on left is a 1-storey block with terracotta
doorway marked 'STUDENTS ENTRANCE'.
INTERIOR: entrance lobby has mosaic floor and terracotta
friezes with cartouches, drapes and C-scrolls; ornate double
doors with panels below arched lights with cornices.
Stairhall: glazed brick and with arcading; stone staircase
with wrought-iron balustrade. Plaque on landing records
details of the opening on 25.8.1903.
Front railings: piers each have plinth, bands, cornice and
obelisk on scrolled supports; iron railings with square bars
and twin top rails. An extra panel beyond right side wing;
railings return to face Bath Street on left. Foundation stone
laid 26.5.1900 (for photograph of ceremony see Trescatheric).
(Trescatheric B: Barrow in Furness in Old Picture Postcards:
Netherlands: 1982-: 29).
Listing NGR: SD1971669537
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings