This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4836 / 52°29'0"N
Longitude: 1.7567 / 1°45'24"E
OS Eastings: 655166
OS Northings: 293932
OS Grid: TM551939
Mapcode National: GBR YTB.6Z2
Mapcode Global: VHN3X.DTJY
Entry Name: 36, High Street
Listing Date: 13 December 1949
Last Amended: 21 June 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1292849
English Heritage Legacy ID: 391300
Location: Lowestoft, Waveney, Suffolk, NR32
Electoral Ward/Division: Harbour
Built-Up Area: Lowestoft
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Lowestoft Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TM5593NW HIGH STREET
914-1/8/22 (East side)
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.35 AND 36)
Merchant's House, probably incorporating a shop. Mid C15
re-modelled in late C19. Timber-framed with brick and flint,
colourwashed. Slate roof.
2 storeys. The ground floor has a late C19 double-fronted shop
display window with a central glazed door. The display windows
right and left of the door are formed of 3/1 horned sashes.
Flanking them are chamfered brick pilasters with modified
Corinthian capitals. Deeply jettied first floor over coving.
One 6/6 sash to first floor. Gabled roof. Internal gable-end
stack to north. A 4-panelled door immediately right of the
shop windows led to a passageway. The rear has a 2-storeyed
gabled cross wing with an internal gable-end stack to the
east. The south side has windows with glazing bars, of
indeterminate though probably C19 date. East of the cross wing
is a further 2-storeyed gabled wing re-built 1949-50 following
INTERIOR. The front shop has C19 and C20 details. The rear,
domestic, room has a very heavy bridging beam with rolled
edges of c1440. The lower surface is decorated with
relief-carved bifurcating scrolls with floral pretensions. The
spine beam has wave-moulded edges. The joists are roll and
keel-moulded. This room was entered from the front shop via 2
doorways, only one now remaining, and this C19. In the early
C17 a staircase was inserted in the north wall entered through
a doorway with small-framed panels and strap hinges. This now
leads to the cellar, and the upper staircase removed west in
C19. The cellar has chamfered bridging beams and a brick and
flint plinth course. The roof structure is of tie beams on
arched braces dropping to wall posts, all renewed. Above the
tie beams is boarding.
Listing NGR: TM5516393936
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings