History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

36, High Street

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lowestoft, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.4836 / 52°29'0"N

Longitude: 1.7567 / 1°45'24"E

OS Eastings: 655166

OS Northings: 293932

OS Grid: TM551939

Mapcode National: GBR YTB.6Z2

Mapcode Global: VHN3X.DTJY

Plus Code: 9F43FQM4+CM

Entry Name: 36, High Street

Listing Date: 13 December 1949

Last Amended: 21 June 1993

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1292849

English Heritage Legacy ID: 391300

Location: Lowestoft, East Suffolk, Suffolk, NR32

County: Suffolk

Electoral Ward/Division: Harbour

Built-Up Area: Lowestoft

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Lowestoft Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in



914-1/8/22 (East side)
13/12/49 No.36
(Formerly Listed as:
(East side)
Nos.35 AND 36)


Merchant's House, probably incorporating a shop. Mid C15
re-modelled in late C19. Timber-framed with brick and flint,
colourwashed. Slate roof.
2 storeys. The ground floor has a late C19 double-fronted shop
display window with a central glazed door. The display windows
right and left of the door are formed of 3/1 horned sashes.
Flanking them are chamfered brick pilasters with modified
Corinthian capitals. Deeply jettied first floor over coving.
One 6/6 sash to first floor. Gabled roof. Internal gable-end
stack to north. A 4-panelled door immediately right of the
shop windows led to a passageway. The rear has a 2-storeyed
gabled cross wing with an internal gable-end stack to the
east. The south side has windows with glazing bars, of
indeterminate though probably C19 date. East of the cross wing
is a further 2-storeyed gabled wing re-built 1949-50 following
bomb damage.
INTERIOR. The front shop has C19 and C20 details. The rear,
domestic, room has a very heavy bridging beam with rolled
edges of c1440. The lower surface is decorated with
relief-carved bifurcating scrolls with floral pretensions. The
spine beam has wave-moulded edges. The joists are roll and
keel-moulded. This room was entered from the front shop via 2
doorways, only one now remaining, and this C19. In the early
C17 a staircase was inserted in the north wall entered through
a doorway with small-framed panels and strap hinges. This now
leads to the cellar, and the upper staircase removed west in
C19. The cellar has chamfered bridging beams and a brick and
flint plinth course. The roof structure is of tie beams on
arched braces dropping to wall posts, all renewed. Above the
tie beams is boarding.

Listing NGR: TM5516393936

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.