This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4864 / 52°29'10"N
Longitude: 1.742 / 1°44'31"E
OS Eastings: 654155
OS Northings: 294188
OS Grid: TM541941
Mapcode National: GBR YT9.374
Mapcode Global: VHN3X.4RST
Plus Code: 9F43FPPR+GR
Entry Name: Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 13 December 1949
Last Amended: 21 June 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1292943
English Heritage Legacy ID: 391277
Location: Lowestoft, East Suffolk, Suffolk, NR32
District: East Suffolk
Town: East Suffolk
Electoral Ward/Division: Normanston
Built-Up Area: Lowestoft
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Lowestoft St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TM59SW CHURCH ROAD
914-1/3/1 (North side)
13/12/49 Church of St Margaret
(Formerly Listed as:
ST MARGARET'S ROAD
Church of St Margaret)
Parish church. West tower early C14; nave, aisles and chancel
late C15, south aisle re-built 1870 by JL Clemence, restored
1899 by Bodley. Flint with ashlar dressings. Roof not visible.
3-stage tower with diagonal buttresses. 2-light Y-tracery west
window, lancet to ringing chamber and one 2-light Y-tracery
belfry window to each side. Crenellated flushwork parapet and
needle spire of 1954 (replacing one of 1483). Nave aisles with
3-light Perpendicular windows separated by stepped flushwork
buttresses, 4-light windows to east and west ends. 2-light
cusped clerestory windows. One tall 3-light transomed chancel
window north and south and a 5-light east window. Angle
buttresses to corners of aisles and chancel.
2-storey south porch entered through a moulded archway. Angle
buttresses. Flushwork panelling to south face and a 2-light
upper-floor window. Stair tower to west, also with flushwork
panelling. The porch has a tierceron rib vault with bosses.
INTERIOR. 6-bay nave arcade comprising lozenge piers on high
polygonal bases supporting continuous wave-moulded arches.
Continuous crested tie beam roof with false hammerbeams
decorated with gilded angels bearing inscriptions, all
restored 1899. Chamfered and hollow-moulded tower arch. No
chancel arch. Octagonal C15 font with standing figures in
cusped niches in the stem. Each bowl panel has figures of 2
standing saints. Font cover 1940. Brasses of a man and wife in
south aisle, c1540, civilian dress. 2 skeleton brasses also in
south aisle, early C16. Chancel with bench sedilia under a
fleuron cornice. Ogeed piscina with square hood and carved
spandrels. In south-east chapel is a wall monument to Captain
Utber, commander of the frigate Guernsey in 1665 when he was
killed while engaging the Dutch and Danish fleets off Norway.
East window glass by Heaton, Butler & Bayne, 1891.
Listing NGR: TM5415594188
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings