This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2336 / 51°14'0"N
Longitude: -0.5724 / 0°34'20"W
OS Eastings: 499765
OS Northings: 149231
OS Grid: SU997492
Mapcode National: GBR FCK.L3C
Mapcode Global: VHFVN.1876
Entry Name: The Chestnuts
Listing Date: 1 May 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1295249
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288880
Location: Guildford, Surrey, GU1
Electoral Ward/Division: Holy Trinity
Built-Up Area: Guildford
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Guildford Holy Trinity and St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 9949SE GUILDFORD CASTLE HILL
(North East Side)
8/18 No 3 (The Chestnuts)
House. Circa 1865. Red/browm brick with low pitched hipped slate roofs. Three
storeys over basement with end stacks. Three bay regular front with three 12-
pane and margin light, cambered-head glazing-bar sash windows to first and second
floors under gauged-brick heads. Two 12-pane ground floor windows, one either
side of central parapeted porch with door of six panels in margin lights and
under fan-traceried over-light. Two windows in basement storey. Two storey late
C19 pent roofed extension to left with C20 fenestration and door. Single storey
ribbed roof extension to right. The Revd. Charles Dodgson (Lewis Carroll) lived
here and died in the house on 14 January 1898.
Photographs in: N.M.R.
M ALEXANDER: GUILDFORD AS IT WAS (1978).
Listing NGR: SU9976449236
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings