History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Petteril Bank

A Grade II* Listed Building in Upperby, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.874 / 54°52'26"N

Longitude: -2.9116 / 2°54'41"W

OS Eastings: 341601

OS Northings: 553628

OS Grid: NY416536

Mapcode National: GBR 8D32.FL

Mapcode Global: WH803.7RSD

Entry Name: Petteril Bank

Listing Date: 11 April 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1297373

English Heritage Legacy ID: 386825

Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA1

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

Town: Carlisle

Electoral Ward/Division: Upperby

Built-Up Area: Carlisle

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Carlisle Upperby St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Carlisle

Listing Text


CARLISLE

NY45SW PETTERIL BANK ROAD
671-1/16/229 (South side)
Petteril Bank

II*

House now offices and showroom. 1829, for John Fawcett,
attorney, with late C19 extensions. Calciferous sandstone
ashlar on chamfered plinth, with string course, cornice and
solid parapet. Graduated greenslate roofs with one gabled
dormer; ashlar ridge and gable chimney stacks. Overall rough
L-shape elongated by extension.
Original house is 2 storeys; entrance facade 2 bays and garden
front 4 bays; 3-storey, 4-bay extension adjoins at left rear.
Entrance facade has off-centre Gothic ribbed panelled doors in
pointed chamfered surround with pointed side lights under
heraldic shields; 5-light overlight of coloured heraldic glass
under hoodmould. Casement windows divided into 2-lights by
glazing bars, in chamfered surrounds under hoodmoulds.
Garden front has off-centre full height canted bay window,
flanked by gabled parapets; casement windows with glazing bars
under hoodmoulds; small blind lancets in gables. Right bay has
narrow French window and casement above under hoodmould. Rear
has similar windows to garden front and gabled parapet.
Extension has 2- and 3-light stone mullioned windows and a
prominent bay window on the entrance facade.
INTERIOR: complete and Gothic except for Jacobean carved
wooden fireplaces in hall and front room. Stone stair arches
and panelled dado in hall and stairs; wooden staircase has
fretted rails and moulded wooden handrail; hexagonal newels
with shaped caps. Heraldic 2-light stained-glass stair window,
incorporating the city and Fawcett arms. Ribbed panelled doors
with elaborate brass knobs and fingers plates in wooden
architraves. Drawing room has columned window arch and
corresponding blind arch on wall opposite; Gothic ribbed
panelled shutters in 2 parts. White marble ribbed and columned
fireplace. Rib and petal moulded plaster ceiling in radial
design around central roundel.
HISTORY: Carlisle Journal (1829) records the theft of tools
from a workman "now working on the new building erecting by
John Fawcett at Petteril Bank". This date is confirmed by the
local directories which show that John Fawcett was living in
The Crescent, Carlisle in 1829, but in 1834 was of Petteril
Bank. At this period Rickman was working on a number of
projects around the city; Holy Trinity Church and Christ
Church 1828; Devonshire Street Reading Rooms 1830; Brunstock
House and Scaleby Castle c1830 and Rose Castle 1829-1834 and
it is possible he could have been the architect. For details
on John Fawcett see his obituary in Carlisle Patriot (1883)
and C Roy Hudlestone and RS Boumphrey, (1978). From 1909 the
owner was Lady Gillford, daughter of the 12th Earl Home (aunt
of Alec Douglas Home), hence the name Gillford Park nearby.
For further details and illustrations see Parish Observer
April (1982). After her death in 1951 the house was acquired
by County Council.
(Carlisle Journal: 14 November 1829; Carlisle Patriot: 27 July
1883: P.4; Hudlestone, C Roy: Cumberland Families and
Heraldry: 1978-: P.108; Parish Observer (Parish of St John,
Upperby), April 1982).


Listing NGR: NY4160153628

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.