This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9893 / 52°59'21"N
Longitude: -2.1359 / 2°8'9"W
OS Eastings: 390972
OS Northings: 343564
OS Grid: SJ909435
Mapcode National: GBR MWQ.5X
Mapcode Global: WHBD1.5444
Entry Name: The Town Hall
Listing Date: 17 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1297944
English Heritage Legacy ID: 384500
Location: Stoke-on-Trent, ST3
County: City of Stoke-on-Trent
Electoral Ward/Division: Broadway and Longton East
Built-Up Area: Stoke-on-Trent
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: Longton St James and St John
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
STOKE ON TRENT
SJ94SW TIMES SQUARE, Longton
613-1/7/95 (South East side)
17/04/86 The Town Hall
Town Hall. Original building of 1844 extended in 1863 to twice
original size with a pedimented portico added to the centre of
the main front. Further alterations in 1912-13. Main front by
J.Burill. Stone and brick, with slate roof.
Monumental Italianate facade to Times Square: 13 bays, an
enriched bay at either end and central 3-bay feature
2-storeyed with rusticated ground floor, ashlar first floor
and high ashlar parapet.
Central single-storeyed porte-cochere of one bay. Balcony over
retains balustrade pedestals with urns, but balusters now
removed. 3-bay pedimented projection at rear of balcony with
Ionic pilasters on pedestals framing arched openings with
stone infills of 1912-13 carved with bass-relief panels. C20
door to balcony in lower half of central opening. A shallow
blank eared panel above each arch. Arcade to porte-cochere,
the projecting quoins and first floor openings are rusticated
with alternating plain and vermiculated blocks and voussoirs.
All arches have raised keystones carved with fish, fruit and
flowers etc. by F.Gladwin of Stoke.
The 5 bays to the left of the portico survive from the
building of 1844: entablature and storey band at a slightly
Arcaded ground floor infilled with recessed C20 metal
casements replacing barred windows or entries, except bay 2
which has carved panel of 1912-13. First floor windows in bays
2-5 have lugged architraves over dado with panelled aprons
below each sill. Above window in bay 4 from left the stone
setting for a pediment may indicate the central axis of the
Ground floor of bay 1 enriched with paired Roman Doric
rusticated pilasters on pedestals framing an arched opening
with a raised console bracket keystone. On first floor, paired
Ionic pilasters on pedestals framing pedimented window.
Entablature brought forward over bay one with pediment above.
Five bays to right of portico are symmetrical extension of
Similar C20 windows in bays 9-10, shop window in bay 11, entry
to covered market in bay 12 and shop kiosk in bay 13. All
windows on first floor are infilled with carved masonary
panels as in central feature. The high panelled parapet of
1912-13 replaces earlier low parpaets on both sides of centre.
Similar detailing, but without the architraves to first floor
windows. The west wall of plain brickwork without detail.
INTERIOR: all detail of 1863 or 1912-13. Imperial staircase
leading to gallery at rear lined with green glazed tiles. Main
hall occupies most of range with Corinthian pilasters above
dado and coved ceiling.
Listing NGR: SJ9097243563
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings