History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Royal King's Arms Hotal royal King's Arms Hotel waterstones Booksellers

A Grade II Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.0485 / 54°2'54"N

Longitude: -2.8036 / 2°48'12"W

OS Eastings: 347483

OS Northings: 461694

OS Grid: SD474616

Mapcode National: GBR 8PVM.TG

Mapcode Global: WH846.XH4P

Entry Name: Royal King's Arms Hotal royal King's Arms Hotel waterstones Booksellers

Listing Date: 13 March 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1298362

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383207

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


1685-1/6/174 (South side)
Nos.75-83 (Odd)
Royal King's Arms Hotel


Includes: Royal King's Arms Hotel & Waterstones Booksellers
Hotel and shop. Rebuilt on its original site in 1879 and
altered 1988. Designed by Holtom and Connor in the Northern
Renaissance style. Sandstone ashlar and ashlar dressings, with
bricks at the rear. Slate roofs with coped gables. Reversed
L-plan on the corner of Market Street and King Street, and
extending along both, with the entrance on Market Street. The
facade is a balanced composition of 2 similar halves, each
symmetrical in itself, on either side of a narrow canted bay
on the corner.
The facade on Market Street has 4 storeys and an attic, and 5
bays, including a slightly recessed 3-bay centre. The ground
floor is articulated by 6 Tuscan pilasters carrying an
entablature which extends along the facades on both streets.
The entrance is in the centre and has a round-arched,
hollow-chamfered doorway of banded rustication, set between
pilasters on high bases; each of these has 2 vertical panels
decorated with arabesques, while above is a scrolled pediment.
The windows in the upper floors have 2, 3 and 2 lights; those
on the first floor also have a transom and have pediments,
triangular to the sides and segmental in the centre. The
central light of the second-floor window accommodates a niche,
and on the third floor is an inscription which reads:
'ESTABLISHED AD 1629 REBUILT AD 1879'. The outer bays of these
upper storeys contain a very tall oriel window lighting a
double-height room; above is a tall pedimented gable, which is
decorated with a niche containing an urn filled with a plant,
a motif which is repeated in all the gables.
The canted bay on the corner has, on the ground floor, a shop
window which extends one bay into Market Street and along all
of the King Street frontage; above is a round-headed French
window with a balcony on the first floor, a blind aedicule on
the third floor, and an open segmental pediment in front of a
The facade to King Street is virtually the same as on Market
Street, except that it is concave in plan, and the end bays do
not have oriel windows, though the right-hand one did

Listing NGR: SD4748361694

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.