History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Windermere House

A Grade II Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0472 / 54°2'49"N

Longitude: -2.8025 / 2°48'8"W

OS Eastings: 347552

OS Northings: 461541

OS Grid: SD475615

Mapcode National: GBR 8PWM.2Y

Mapcode Global: WH846.XJNQ

Entry Name: Windermere House

Listing Date: 11 June 1990

Last Amended: 13 March 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1298364

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383216

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Town: Lancaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Lancaster

Listing Text


LANCASTER

SD4761NE MIDDLE STREET
1685-1/7/183 (South side)
11/06/90 Windermere House
(Formerly Listed as:
MIDDLE STREET
(South side)
Redman House)

GV II

Girls' charity school, now offices. 1849. Probably by Sharpe
and Paley. Elizabethen Vernacular style. Coursed and snecked
sandstone with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with coped gables
and kneelers. Rectangular plan with the entrance in the second
bay. Chimney stacks, each with 2 flues set diagonally, between
the second and third bays and on the right-hand gable. Low
service wing to the rear.
2 storeys and 5 slightly irregular bays, each with a gabled
dormer. The doorway has a moulded 2-centred arch, and a
boarded door, recessed up 2 steps. Above the doorway is an
arched niche which contains the figures of 2 girls holding an
inscription. To the left on the ground floor is a 4-light
mullioned window; like all the others, it has arched lights.
The first 2 gables, each with a 2-light mullioned and
transomed window, are offset slightly to the left. To the
right of the doorway on the ground floor are four 3-light
mullioned and transomed windows, while on the first floor
there are only three 3-light stepped mullioned and transomed
windows, each under a gable. The left-hand gable wall has a
3-light mullioned and transomed window on the ground floor,
with a similar stepped one above. To the left of the building
is a raised yard.
INTERIOR: to the right of the entrance there is a large room
on each floor; the upper one has an arch-braced roof.
HISTORY: built to replace a smaller school on the same site,
which was opened in 1772 and whose datestone is visible inside
on the ground floor. The inscription above the main doorway,
which is almost illegible, was said to read: 'This school was
rebuilt and enlarged by the bounty of Richard Newsham, Esq.,
of Preston, and Agnes Bowes, his wife, and other friends of
education, an extension being granted by William Ford, Esq.,
and his sisters, A.D. 1849.'
(Cross Fleury (pseud.): Time-Honoured Lancaster: Lancaster:
1891-: 530).


Listing NGR: SD4755261541

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


LANCASTER

SD4761NE MIDDLE STREET
1685-1/7/183 (South side)
11/06/90 Windermere House
(Formerly Listed as:
MIDDLE STREET
(South side)
Redman House)

GV II

Girls' charity school, now offices. 1849. Probably by Sharpe
and Paley. Elizabethen Vernacular style. Coursed and snecked
sandstone with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with coped gables
and kneelers. Rectangular plan with the entrance in the second
bay. Chimney stacks, each with 2 flues set diagonally, between
the second and third bays and on the right-hand gable. Low
service wing to the rear.
2 storeys and 5 slightly irregular bays, each with a gabled
dormer. The doorway has a moulded 2-centred arch, and a
boarded door, recessed up 2 steps. Above the doorway is an
arched niche which contains the figures of 2 girls holding an
inscription. To the left on the ground floor is a 4-light
mullioned window; like all the others, it has arched lights.
The first 2 gables, each with a 2-light mullioned and
transomed window, are offset slightly to the left. To the
right of the doorway on the ground floor are four 3-light
mullioned and transomed windows, while on the first floor
there are only three 3-light stepped mullioned and transomed
windows, each under a gable. The left-hand gable wall has a
3-light mullioned and transomed window on the ground floor,
with a similar stepped one above. To the left of the building
is a raised yard.
INTERIOR: to the right of the entrance there is a large room
on each floor; the upper one has an arch-braced roof.
HISTORY: built to replace a smaller school on the same site,
which was opened in 1772 and whose datestone is visible inside
on the ground floor. The inscription above the main doorway,
which is almost illegible, was said to read: 'This school was
rebuilt and enlarged by the bounty of Richard Newsham, Esq.,
of Preston, and Agnes Bowes, his wife, and other friends of
education, an extension being granted by William Ford, Esq.,
and his sisters, A.D. 1849.'
(Cross Fleury (pseud.): Time-Honoured Lancaster: Lancaster:
1891-: 530).


Listing NGR: SD4755261541

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.