History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Walls, Gate Piers and Gates to Town Hall Gardens

A Grade II Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0472 / 54°2'50"N

Longitude: -2.797 / 2°47'49"W

OS Eastings: 347915

OS Northings: 461546

OS Grid: SD479615

Mapcode National: GBR 8PXM.8X

Mapcode Global: WH847.0JDN

Entry Name: Walls, Gate Piers and Gates to Town Hall Gardens

Listing Date: 13 March 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1298366

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383227

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Town: Lancaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Lancaster

Listing Text


LANCASTER

SD4761NE NELSON STREET
1685-1/7/196 (South side)
Walls, gate piers and gates to Town
Hall Gardens

GV II

Walls and gateways to the gardens on the east side of the Town
Hall. 1908. By Edward Mountford. For Lord Ashton, as part of
the scheme for the Town Hall (qv) on Dalton Square. Sandstone
ashlar and ironwork.
The walls, which extend along Nelson Street from the
south-east corner of Dalton Square and then down Robert Street
to the corner of the Computer Block (qv) on George Street,
have a deep plinth which carries a balustrade of heavy vase
balusters between panelled dies.
The gateways (on Dalton Square and George Street, immediately
to the east of the Town Hall) are similar to each other, with
3 square piers separating the footway from the carriageway
which runs along the original alignment of Robert Street.
Above a chamfered plinth each pier has 2 plain bands which
interrupt moulded vertical panels and is capped by a cornice
and blocking course. Between them hang pairs of heavy
ornamental gates of cast- and wrought-iron; their central
panels are articulated by turned balusters and, at the top, by
a panel containing a wreathed shield containing the arms of
both the Borough of Lancaster and Lord Ashton, flanked by red
roses. Similar gates close off the entrances to the footway
and to the Town Hall basement.


Listing NGR: SD4791561546

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.