History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Piers and Low Wall Around Castle Precinct to South of Castle

A Grade II Listed Building in Lancaster, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0494 / 54°2'57"N

Longitude: -2.8061 / 2°48'21"W

OS Eastings: 347318

OS Northings: 461797

OS Grid: SD473617

Mapcode National: GBR 8PVM.84

Mapcode Global: WH846.VGYZ

Entry Name: Piers and Low Wall Around Castle Precinct to South of Castle

Listing Date: 13 March 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1298406

English Heritage Legacy ID: 383091

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA1

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Town: Lancaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Lancaster

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Lancaster St Mary with St John and St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Lancaster

Listing Text


LANCASTER

SD4761NW CASTLE PARK
1685-1/6/60 (North side)
Piers and low wall around Castle
precinct to south of Castle

GV II

Set of 12 piers and a dwarf wall, originally supporting
railings. Early C19. Sandstone ashlar. Octagonal in plan, with
a faceted pointed cap above a pronounced string course. Near
the centre of the south side a pair of piers originally
flanked an iron gate.
HISTORY: placed to demarcate the boundary of the Castle Park
which was laid out on and near the castle ditch. Not marked on
Binns' map of 1821, but clearly shown on the 5 feet to the
mile Ordnance Survey map surveyed in 1845.
(Ordnance Survey: Map of Lancaster at Five Feet to One Mile:
Southampton: 1849-).


Listing NGR: SD4731761798

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


LANCASTER

SD4761NW CASTLE PARK
1685-1/6/60 (North side)
Piers and low wall around Castle
precinct to south of Castle

GV II

Set of 12 piers and a dwarf wall, originally supporting
railings. Early C19. Sandstone ashlar. Octagonal in plan, with
a faceted pointed cap above a pronounced string course. Near
the centre of the south side a pair of piers originally
flanked an iron gate.
HISTORY: placed to demarcate the boundary of the Castle Park
which was laid out on and near the castle ditch. Not marked on
Binns' map of 1821, but clearly shown on the 5 feet to the
mile Ordnance Survey map surveyed in 1845.
(Ordnance Survey: Map of Lancaster at Five Feet to One Mile:
Southampton: 1849-).


Listing NGR: SD4731761798

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.