This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.8371 / 53°50'13"N
Longitude: -1.7904 / 1°47'25"W
OS Eastings: 413887
OS Northings: 437896
OS Grid: SE138378
Mapcode National: GBR J92.41
Mapcode Global: WHC92.GTM7
Entry Name: Saltaire School Including Wall, Gate Piers and Sculpted Lions to Front Area, and Gate to South Side
Listing Date: 22 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1300666
English Heritage Legacy ID: 337559
Location: Bradford, BD18
Electoral Ward/Division: Shipley
Built-Up Area: Shipley
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Shipley St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 13/09/2012
SE 1337 NE
to front area,
and gate to south
School, now part of Shipley College. Dated 1869. By Lockwood and
Mawson for Titus Salt. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings.
Welsh slate roof. Italianate-style. Single storey. Three pedimented
pavilions joined by a tower, 3-bay open colonnade with lower rooms
behind. The central pavilion-has central part breaking forward with
2 round-arched windows with console keystones flanked by Corinthian
columns which support an entablature. The tympanum is elaborately
carved with a roundel bearing the Salt coat of arms with an alpaca to
each side and foliage decoration. Above is an elaborate bell-turret
(bell missing) with the carved figures of a boy and a girl and a globe.
The side pavilions project and each has a single large Venetian window.
In the tympanum of each is a roundel with the initials ' T. S. ' with
surround. Deep, bracketed eaves cornice and pediments with
acroteria. A 9-bay, 2-storey wing projects at the rear. The left and
right returns are of 8 bays, with 3 bays to each side of a more
elaborate 2-bay gabled centre. Round-arched archivolted windows, those
to centre with Corinthian colonnettes and single oculus over. Basement
to right elevation due to sloping ground.
Low, rock-faced stone boundary wall to front area. Cast-iron railings
to right and left sides with round bars and dog-bars with spear-head
finials. Two pairs of square ashlar piers to centre with caps removed.
Two large corner piers with sculpted lions by Thomas Milnes of London,'
representing Determination and Vigilance.
The school was designed to take 750 children, boys and girls. segregated,
in the two principal rooms, and infants in the smaller central room.
The school is set back from the road and the front area, along with that
of the Institute opposite (q.v.) forms a gardened square.
Part of Saltaire model village.
D. Linstrum, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, 1978
A. Holroyd, Saltaire and its Founder, Sir Titus Salt, Bart., 1873
Listing NGR: SE1388737896
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings