This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6892 / 51°41'21"N
Longitude: -2.4574 / 2°27'26"W
OS Eastings: 368475
OS Northings: 199042
OS Grid: ST684990
Mapcode National: GBR JX.4VYQ
Mapcode Global: VH87K.CS6W
Entry Name: Thorpe Monument,immediately Adjacent to Bay 1 of Nave from East on North Side in Churchyard of Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 9 September 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1304472
English Heritage Legacy ID: 132250
Location: Berkeley, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL13
Civil Parish: Berkeley
Built-Up Area: Berkeley
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Berkeley St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
ST 69 NE BERKELEY CHURCH LANE
(Inset, Section E) (south side)
10/109 Thorpe monument, immediately
adjacent to bay 1 of nave from east
on north side in churchyard of
Church of St. Mary the Virgin.
Chest tomb, George and Mary Thorpe, latter died 1669. Limestone.
Flat top, moulded plinth and capping. Ends have oval panels with
heads or skulls. Sides divided into 2 recessed panels with coats
of arms to east and inscriptions to west. Top badly eroded, north
east side panel breaking up and partially overgrown at time of
survey (Nov. 1984). George and Mary Thorpe were grandchildren of
George Thorpe and John Smyth who were co-sponsors with Richard
Berkeley and Sir William Throckmorton of the Berkeley Hundred
Plantation in Virginia, USA, in 1619.
Listing NGR: ST6847599042
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings