This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7219 / 50°43'18"N
Longitude: -1.8806 / 1°52'50"W
OS Eastings: 408524
OS Northings: 91368
OS Grid: SZ085913
Mapcode National: GBR X6W.M6
Mapcode Global: FRA 67Y5.H68
Entry Name: Richmond Hill United Reformed Church and Sunday Schools
Listing Date: 1 August 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1304642
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101712
Location: Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole, BH2
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Bournemouth
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Bournemouth Town Centre
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
1. BOURNE AVENUE
5l86 (North Side)
Richmond Hill United
Reformed Church and
SZ 0891 13/123 1.8.74.
Formerly Congregational, 1890-1, by Lawson and Donkin. Large and elaborate free
Late Gothic, Purbeck stone with Bath stone dressings. North-west tower with
octagonal third stage of gabled windows clasped by polygonal pinnacles (with far-projecting gargoyles); on this a smaller octagonal lantern with gabled windows, supported by flying buttresses, carrying short spire with iron finial. West front has lean-to narthex with 8-light window over (ogee hoodmould); south-west porch with polygonal front and traceried parapet. North and south flanks with lean-to aisles (3-light straight-headed windows) and big gabled 4-light clerestory windows. Transept gables have pair of tall 4-light windows with transom, with traceried rose window over, elaborate foliage carving to gabled north transept doorway. Interior with narrow passage aisles, pair of arches and 1 clerestory window embraced by each bay of ribbed timber coving to roof, carried on pink granite wall shafts with black shaft rings and foliage capitals. Centre of roof has arched braces, making overall trefoil section, canted boarding between, with openwork foliage panels on wallplate. West gallery and transept galleries with arcaded fronts, front 10 rows of main pews arranged in semi-circle, extending into transepts. Apse polygonal, with ribbed timber vault, also on pink granite wall shafts with foliage capitals. Big circular pulpit with foliage panels between buttresses, and pink granite columns. Joined at east to Sunday Schools and halls (altered and enlarged 1953).
Listing NGR: SZ0852491368
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings