This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8775 / 51°52'39"N
Longitude: -2.1698 / 2°10'11"W
OS Eastings: 388405
OS Northings: 219898
OS Grid: SO884198
Mapcode National: GBR 1L2.B6W
Mapcode Global: VH94D.B2RJ
Plus Code: 9C3VVRHJ+23
Entry Name: Caledonia manor House
Listing Date: 29 October 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1305066
English Heritage Legacy ID: 126567
Location: Churchdown, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL3
Civil Parish: Churchdown
Built-Up Area: Innsworth
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Churchdown St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
CHURCHDOWN STATION ROAD
12/26 Manor House and Caledonia
Two attached houses in one ownership. C16, altered and extended
late C17 or C18, C19. Timber-framing, covered render or tile
hanging, painted brickwork, tiled roof, slate to single-storey
front part. Eight-window range, one room deep, with overlapping
wing behind projecting 2 bays on left, all 2½ storeys: single-
storey wing in angle at front, and at rear. Facing road: right
return tile hung, 6-pane sash ground floor, 12-pane first, 2-light
casement to attic, plain barge boards. Main front, rendered;
three 4-pane sashes on right, 5-panel door, up one stone step,
rectangular light over, projecting hood on shaped brackets: 3
similar windows to left; half-glazed door, 2 flush panels below,
rectangular light over, C18 canopy with dentil cornice on brackets
over. Above, 8 windows as ground floor. Tiled roof, banded with
alternate strips of plain and fish-scale tiles. External brick
chimney against left return: and 2 to rear. To left, single-
storey wing continues line of front, 4-pane sash with narrow
similar each side; slated hipped roof over. Behind taller painted
brick wing, with two 2-light casements to first floor, cambered
brick arches over. Two hipped dormers with leaded 2-light
casements; central brick chimney on ridge. Rear of left end
paired French doors and normal sash ground floor, 3 normal sash
windows first floor, 3 hipped dormers as front above.
Interior of Manor House, 8-window range; appears originally to
have been cross passage and 3 rooms, one being on right of passage.
Open-well stairs, turned balusters, moulded handrail, closed
string, original, but with some replacements. Room to right of
entrance raised C17 panelling, to left painted fielded panelling
and shutters, spine beam, blocked fireplace. First floor timber-
framing exposed internally in gables; two C16 stone fireplaces in
back wall; collar trusses to roof. Interior of Caledonia not
inspected. House much altered in late C19: it was previously
called the Great House, has never been a manor house. Said that
Sir Walter Raleigh stayed in it.
(W.T. Swift, History of Churchdown, 1905)
Listing NGR: SO8840519898
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings