This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.723 / 50°43'22"N
Longitude: -3.5291 / 3°31'44"W
OS Eastings: 292160
OS Northings: 92603
OS Grid: SX921926
Mapcode National: GBR P1.8SH8
Mapcode Global: FRA 37H5.GXT
Entry Name: 8,9 and 9a, Cathedral Close
Listing Date: 29 January 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1306441
English Heritage Legacy ID: 88918
Location: Exeter, Devon, EX1
Electoral Ward/Division: St David's
Built-Up Area: Exeter
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Exeter Cathedral
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
Nos 8, 9 and 9A
SX 9292 NW 3/104 29.1.53
Probably circa 1450. Heavitree stone. Nos 8, 9 and 9A form one block, No 8 having
no frontage except an arched entrance to an open passage which leads to the Law
Library and Notaries House. Passage has two blocked stone door openings. Long
2 storey front, coursed Heavitree stone masonry below, half-timbering above. The
upper floor oversails and is supported on curved oak brackets resting on stone
corbels. Arch leading to No 8 is of Beer stone, C15 or C16, and has carved spandrels.
Also on ground floor are two small rectangular stone windows with grilles. No
9 has C18 fanlight to doorway, entrance to No 9a is at side. 1st floor has C18
sash windows, including two segmental bows, all with glazing bars. Slate roofs.
All the listed buildings in Cathedral Close form a group.
Listing NGR: SX9216392609
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings