History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ivy Cottage the Old Quaker House

A Grade II Listed Building in Milverton, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.0263 / 51°1'34"N

Longitude: -3.2525 / 3°15'9"W

OS Eastings: 312254

OS Northings: 125959

OS Grid: ST122259

Mapcode National: GBR LT.HRTJ

Mapcode Global: FRA 462D.NP6

Plus Code: 9C3R2PGW+GX

Entry Name: Ivy Cottage the Old Quaker House

Listing Date: 25 January 1956

Last Amended: 4 May 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1307829

English Heritage Legacy ID: 270431

Location: Milverton, Somerset West and Taunton, Somerset, TA4

County: Somerset

Civil Parish: Milverton

Built-Up Area: Milverton

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Milverton

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in



11/220 Ivy Cottage and The Old Quaker
(formerly listed as Ivy Cottage
and Cottage adjoining Ivy Cottage)



Cottage, now divided. Late C16 early C17, extensively modernized C20. Red sandstone random rubble masonry, steeply
pitched corrugated iron roof at South end, double Roman tile to North, brick stack set back to left and truncated large
external stack, stepped to right on South facade fronting road. Originally a three cell and cross passage plan fronting
Mill Lane to West with outhouse at the North end. South elevation fronting road, one and a half storeys, 2 bays; C20
mullion windows, 2-light in gable end, 4-light below, C20 double Roman tiled bay window in angle of chimney breast
right, set back first floor 2-light, all under C17 hood moulds, damaged over latter window. There is a round headed
entrance to the yard on the right, entrance to Ivy Cottage is underneath on the left. East facade fronting yard, all
C20 mullions. At the northern end of the block The Old Quaker House carries a C20 plaque declaring that this site
belonged to the Quakers 1780-1872, and was their meeting house until 1855. Interior not viewed. Ivy Cottage interior:
chamfered beam in front room with moulded stone jambs of C16 fireplace, possibly reset. An C18 painting of The Meeting
House is reproduced in H L Maynard, The Crown Manor and Burgh of Milverton, 1939.

Listing NGR: ST1225525961

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.