This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7816 / 51°46'53"N
Longitude: 0.0483 / 0°2'53"E
OS Eastings: 541392
OS Northings: 211201
OS Grid: TL413112
Mapcode National: GBR LDF.71G
Mapcode Global: VHHM5.SHD2
Entry Name: Briggens House Hotel and Attached Upper Terrace and Tank at West,along a Drive,300 Metres South of the Lodge
Listing Date: 24 January 1967
Last Amended: 19 September 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1307983
English Heritage Legacy ID: 159963
Location: Hunsdon, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Hunsdon
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Hunsdon
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
HARLOW ROAD (A414) (South Side),
Briggens House Hotel (formerly listed as Briggens) and attached Upper Terrace and Tank at W, along a drive, 300 metres S. of the Lodge
Country House, now an hotel. Circa 1719 by the mason Christopher Cass (1678-1734) (Gunnis (1968) 88) for Robert Chester, a director of South Sea Company: 2-bay N and S blocks and 2nd floor added for Thomas Blackmore probably c1770 (name and date on stable bell): N end and W side extensions in 1899: alterations 1908 for H C Gibbs (RCHM Typescript). Former country house on hilltop site facing W in a landscaped park probably designed by Bridgeman. Grey brick with stone dressings, hipped slate roof, Portland stone upper terrace on S end overlooking a tank of York stone. 3 storeys above basement, 7 windows front. 3-window central portion breaks forward. Stone bands at each floor level and blocking course to stone cornice. 2-window, 2 storeys and mansard side wings rebuilt in C19, project and are linked by a single storey stone screen with 6 casement windows flanking door with open pediment. 3-window block on S end with upper terrace in Portland stone attached facing S. Balustrade of low square piers with stone rails between supported on stone balls. E front has large full height 3-window central bow and basement storey clad in stone. Recessed sash windows generally. A drawing exists for a chimneypiece for Briggens by James Thornhill dated 1720 but the interior is completely C19. A large C18 country house with later additions, in a prominent position on a hilltop. Part of an immediate group of outbuildings and part of a wider landscape composition.
(VCH (1912) 325-6: Gibbs (1915) 23-6: Pevsner (1977) 343: HLHS (1979) 38: RCHM Typescript).
Listing NGR: TL4139211201
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings