This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.3847 / 54°23'5"N
Longitude: -2.7181 / 2°43'5"W
OS Eastings: 353459
OS Northings: 499043
OS Grid: SD534990
Mapcode National: GBR 9KGQ.BY
Mapcode Global: WH82Q.61XX
Plus Code: 9C6V97MJ+VQ
Entry Name: Selside Hall and Attached Outbuilding
Listing Date: 21 November 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1311671
English Heritage Legacy ID: 75768
Location: Whitwell and Selside, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA8
Civil Parish: Whitwell and Selside
Traditional County: Westmorland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Selside St Thomas
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
SD 59 NW WHITWELL AND SELSIDE FIRTREE LANE
6/184 Selside Hall and
21.11.52 attached outbuilding
House. Late C14 with C16 and C18 alterations and small C19 north extension.
Roughcast stone with some ashlar dressings, slate roofs. L-plan, south wing has
thick walls, probably the oldest part. East facade of 2 storeys and 5 bays, the
1st and 5th bays projecting under gables. Ground floor has chamfered light to
1st bay; small windows to 2nd and 4th bays are sashed with single glazing bars
and horns; 5th bay has casement. 1st floor has 2-light single-chamfered-
mullioned window with transom, cusped lights and blind tracery to head, label
mould with head stops. 2nd to 4th bays have sashed windows as below. 5th bay
has 2-light double-chamfered-mullioned window with open tracery head and
labelmould. Gabled porch to 4th bay has pointed entrance and inner entrance,
outer battened door with studs and strap hinges. 2 large cross-axial stacks.
Single-storey extension to north has projecting wing with gable-end stack,
entrance and casement. Large stack to north gable end. South elevation has
4 windows to 1st floor, 3 are sashed, the 3rd has casement in chamfered
reveals. Lateral stack has set offs and octagonal shaft. West elevation has
gable-end stack to projecting end bay. Sashes and top-hung casements to varied
fenestration. Re-entrant stair bay under catslide roof. Entrance to end bay
has small light to right. Interior: South wing has barrel vaulted ground floor
with 2 rooms with entrance with corbelled lintel between, similar entrance to
hall, which has early C16 moulded fireplace beam with run out stops and similar
heck post; stop-chamfered beam and joists. Early C18 inserted stone fireplace
has corbelled lintel with fluted key. Open well stair has turned balusters,
square newels and moulded handrail; later straight stair. 1st floor has oak
floor. Said to be a priest hide above main fireplace connecting with roof.
Home of the Thornburghs, a local recusant family, until 1744 and 1st floor room
at north end used as Catholic chapel, being also used as Anglican chapel until
church built in 1718. See R.C.H.M. Inventory: Westmorland.
Listing NGR: SD5345999043
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings