History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Thomas

A Grade II Listed Building in Whitwell and Selside, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3862 / 54°23'10"N

Longitude: -2.7168 / 2°43'0"W

OS Eastings: 353549

OS Northings: 499209

OS Grid: SD535992

Mapcode National: GBR 9KGQ.MF

Mapcode Global: WH82Q.70KR

Entry Name: Church of St Thomas

Listing Date: 21 February 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1311692

English Heritage Legacy ID: 75761

Location: Whitwell and Selside, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA8

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Whitwell and Selside

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Selside St Thomas

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Grayrigg

Listing Text


SD 59 NW
6/180

WHITWELL AND SELSIDE

Church of St Thomas

II

Church. 1838, tower 1894. Plastered stone, the tower of stone rubble with
slobbered mortar, some roughcast and ashlar dressings; slate roof. 4-bay nave
and west tower. Nave has coped east gable with kneelers and cross, diagonal
buttress to south. Narrow stack to north of 3-light traceried window with
single-chamfered mullions. Later lean-to outbuilding with gabled building to
north end. South facade of nave has lancets with chamfered reveals. North
facade has organ loft under catslide roof to east. 2 bays, with 3-light
single-chamfered mullioned window with transom. Tower has bell stage over
weathered band, plastered to west, top band and embattled parapet. Squat
pyramidal roof with weather vane. West window of 3 round-headed lights; 4 light
window to north, with weathered buttress to angle. South stair turret under
lean-to roof has window of 2 round-headed lights. Gabled porch has Tudor-headed
entrance and lozenge with date: 1838. 3 louvred bell-openings to each face of
bell stage, but only 2 to east. Interior: Stepped round arch on corbels to
tower, which has fluted beams. Partitioned-off vestry. Font of marble, of
4-lobed chalice form. Nave has boarded roof and tie beams; hat pegs to backs of
pews. Enriched stall fronts and reredos; turned balusters to altar rail.
Stained glass east window, the Good Shepherd, dated 1867. Older font is square,
on chamfered pier, with date: 1709. Wood wall memorial to Ienet Kitchin, died
1712 aged 103, panel with entablature and apron with skull and cross bones.

Listing NGR: SD5354999209

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.