History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Herring's Green Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Eastcotts, Bedford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.0884 / 52°5'18"N

Longitude: -0.4161 / 0°24'58"W

OS Eastings: 508615

OS Northings: 244524

OS Grid: TL086445

Mapcode National: GBR G2T.3LV

Mapcode Global: VHFQG.QRWW

Entry Name: Herring's Green Farmhouse

Listing Date: 17 May 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1312651

English Heritage Legacy ID: 36691

Location: Eastcotts, Bedford, MK45

County: Bedford

Civil Parish: Eastcotts

Traditional County: Bedfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire

Church of England Parish: Cardington

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 30/09/2014


Herring's Green Farmhouse

(Formerly listed as Herring Green Farmhouse)


House. 1785-6 rebuilding (for Samuel Whitbread) of earlier house. Red brick,
rendered at basement level, with clay tile roof. Double-pile plan of 2
storeys and attics. 2-span roof with Dutch gables (an unusual feature in
Bedfordshire). Moulded brick bands at first floor and eaves level. SE
elevation : symmetrical facade. 4 flush sashes with glazing bars to ground
and first floors, all with flat arches, central C20 oculus to first floor, 2
gabled dormers with casements with glazing bars to attic. Central doorway and
flight of brick steps with stone dressings and ball finial are C20
replacements. 6 panel door with rectangular fanlight, with surround of plain
pilasters and open pediment, replacing earlier porch with open pediment on
slender columns. Wood modillion cornice is C20 replacement for original
parapet with Central pediment. 2 red brick integral stacks to each gable end.
SW gable end has circular plaque: "S.W,1785, restored S.W. 1961-2, restored
S.C.W. 1973-4".
(Bedfordshire Record Office: W2/6/1-2 (1794); P38/28/1-2 (1782-9); W931-49.
Also, cf, MHLG Provisional List, 1960).

Listing NGR: TL0861544524

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.