This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6065 / 50°36'23"N
Longitude: -2.4505 / 2°27'1"W
OS Eastings: 368216
OS Northings: 78631
OS Grid: SY682786
Mapcode National: GBR PY.DQBF
Mapcode Global: FRA 57RG.H5G
Entry Name: Friends Burial Ground Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 22 December 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1313420
English Heritage Legacy ID: 467267
Location: Dorset, Dorset, DT4
District: Weymouth and Portland
Town: Weymouth and Portland
Electoral Ward/Division: Weymouth East
Built-Up Area: Weymouth
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Weymouth Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY6878NW BARRACK ROAD
873-1/24/13 (North side)
Friends' Burial Ground, boundary
Boundary walls enclosing burial ground. Established on this
site in 1713, some walls of late C18 or C19. A roughly
rectangular area extending approx 42m x 27m, with an entrance
centrally in the walling to Barrack Road. The area has been
cleared of headstones, but a few remain near the NW boundary
of the Ground.
To Barrack Road the walls are in squared Portland rubble,
backed with brickwork, to a saddle-back coping at approx 1.8m,
following the slope of the road. At the centre is a pair of
square brick piers in English bond, with pyramidal stone
cappings and a flush stone band at mid height. They carry a
shaped, stepped Portland stone lintel, inscribed in capitals :
FRIENDS BURIAL GROUND. This is also backed in brickwork,
carried on a cast-iron angel.
At the right end the wall stops to Nothe Tavern (not
included), and at the left to the former Guardhouse to the
Barracks (not included); at this point also is one of 3
boundary markers, in stone, with G-WD and upright arrow-head,
The south boundary, and the first approx 20m of the return
towards the N are in late C20 brickwork; this latter run has a
stone boundary marker at each end, to the S marked WD-arrow-F,
to the N with WD-arrow-E. The remaining W boundary, set back a
short distance from the brick wall, is in Portland rubble to
saddle-back coping at approx 1.5m from the surface (which is
much higher on this side than outside.)
The wall returns across about two-thirds of the width of the
Burial Ground adjacent to Nothe Tavern, but on this side was
considerably overgrown at time of survey. This is now an area
of public open space, but has continuing historical interest.
The space was used, until 1834, by other Dissenters. The
Friends' Chapel was a converted building in St Thomas Street,
demolished after 1858 (RCHME).
(RCHME: Dorset: South-East: London: 1970-: 336).
Listing NGR: SY6821678631
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings