History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Cottage white House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Eye, Suffolk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.3207 / 52°19'14"N

Longitude: 1.1507 / 1°9'2"E

OS Eastings: 614826

OS Northings: 273846

OS Grid: TM148738

Mapcode National: GBR TJL.HRK

Mapcode Global: VHL9F.WXQW

Entry Name: The Cottage white House

Listing Date: 15 June 1951

Last Amended: 12 February 1998

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1316616

English Heritage Legacy ID: 468326

Location: Eye, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP23

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

Civil Parish: Eye

Built-Up Area: Eye (Mid Suffolk)

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Eye St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


585-1/7/73 (North side)
15/06/51 No.53
White House and The Cottage
(Formerly Listed as:
(North side)
White House and wing adjoining White


Formerly known as: White House CHURCH STREET.
Two houses.
EXTERIOR: White House: early C16, remodelled early C18. Facade
added 1875 by JK Colling. Timber-framed and brick. Plaintile
and slate (front) roofs. Rendered and whitewashed brick facade
of 2 storeys and dormer attic; 5-window range. Central
8-panelled door, the upper two panels glazed. Eared doorcase.
Two 6/6 unhorned sashes either side and 5 to first floor.
Parapet. Gabled roof with one flat-topped dormer. Shaped early
C18 gable ends, each carrying one square stack.
To left of elevation is The Cottage: late C17 timber frame,
rendered and whitewashed. Hipped slate roof. 2 storeys. Bay
window to ground floor with 2/2 and 8/8 horned sashes.
6-panelled door to right, the upper two panels glazed. Eared
timber doorcase with open pediment. Rear elevation presents
two 2-storey gabled wings, that to the east with an early C18
shaped gable with an apical stack. Mixed fenestration
throughout of C19 and C20 casements and sashes.
INTERIOR: cellar with C16 brickwork. East ground-floor room
with large-framed C18 panelling, a modillion eaves cornice and
a 4-centred fireplace with carved spandrels. West room with
multiple roll-moulded C16 bridging beams, middle rail and
joists, all with tongue stops. Open-string mid C18 staircase
with turned balusters and a ramped and wreathed handrail. Rear
east wing with timber frame of heavy scantling and jowled
principal posts with arched braces to tie beams. Roof of front
range has 4 bays of crown post roof, the crown posts with open
arched braces to crown purlin only. The Cottage has late C17
frame with chamfered bridging beams and plain joists.

Listing NGR: TM1482673846

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.